Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to slightly enlarge a bench dog hole

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/12/2013 11:27 AM, scritch wrote:

... I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them. Does
anyone have better ideas?

I'd use a twist drill (carefully) -- it'll follow the existing holes
more readily than the spade bit will.

Or, the really clean way would be to glue in a waste dowel and redrill
as wanted w/ a Forstner.

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging them?
I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more elegant
idea.

Use a dowel for the bulk but cut some matching grain plugs 1/4" thick or
so to mate up with the surface if want the appearances...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message ...

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

I would plug the holes with a dowel and then redrill with the proper sized
fostner bit WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:27:38 -0700, scritch
wrote:

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

I'd use a twist bit and take it slow like dpb suggested. Or if you
want to use a Forstner bit drill the desired hole size in a piece of
scrap and then clamp it to your bench to be the guide for the Forstner
bit to get it started. After you get deep enough you will no longer
need the guide and it can be discarded.

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

This is an easy fix! Go to Harbor Freight and get one of their
recently inventoried "Negative Kerf" drill bits. They're fantastic!!
:-)

Thanks,

scritch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2013 12:27 PM, scritch wrote:
I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them. Does
anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

Return the holdfast, buy one from gramercy. I have 2 and love them.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 09:27:38 -0700, scritch
Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

You might use an "Oops" arbor with two hole saws.. Lee Valley Tools
sells them. I'm not sure that a 1/8" difference is enough to use
smaller to larger hole saws, but you could visit an LV store and find
out.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,180,42316
Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It
is quite substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very
solid. I drilled some bench dog holes in it, and then I
bought a holdfast.
Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as
3/4" diameter, it's really a bit larger, and I need to
enlarge the dog holes by about 1/8". I saw one technique
where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit at 60
degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge
them. Does anyone have better ideas?

No idea if it is better but if you don't want to enlarge the holes, shrink
the holdfast. You could take it to a machine shop or if you have something
you can chuck it in - lathe, drill press, etc. - you could do it yourself
with a stone.

Personally, I'd send it back. If they say 3/4 I expect 3/4.

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts
on plugging them? I might just glue in some dowels, but
someone might have a more elegant idea.

You could get some epoxy, thicken it with talc (so it will be white/grey and
opaque) and swirl in different colors. Personally, I'd just use the dowels

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, scritch wrote:
I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite

substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some

bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,

it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about

1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit

at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.

Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging

them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more

elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

I would use the drill press to drill the proper sized holes in a substantial piece of hardwood. Then I'd clamp that hardwood to the proper position above the old holes and use it as a guide to enlarge the holes.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote:

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4"
diameter, it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog
holes by about 1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the
shoulders of a spade bit at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down
the holes to enlarge them. Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a
more elegant idea.

Return the defective dog(s) and make your own,

Start with 3/4" x 3/4" x 8" maple or white oak piece.

Setup router table with a 3/8" round over bit and fence with stops.

Machine a "dogbone" with 3/4" round in center and 3/4" x 3/4" x 1"
ends.

Cross cut "dogbone" into two (2) equal pieces that become your bench
dogs.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2013 12:27 PM, scritch wrote:
I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some bench
dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit at
60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them. Does
anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging them?
I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

If the holes are the correct size and the holdfast is too big then you
should be grinding away at the holdfast to make it the correct size (or
return it for one that is correctly sized). Other tools you might acquire
in the future will want the dog holes to be the correct size and there is
no way you are going to shrink them retroactively.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/13/2013 10:44 AM, BenignBodger wrote:
[...]

Excellent point.

I use dogs from veritas and holdfasts from Garmercy... all fit the same
hole.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote in :

*snip*

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

If they're not in the way or you're only bothered by the look, I'd consider
leaving them. If you add a vise to your bench, especially one without a
quick adjust, more holes is a good thing.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

I'd use a twist bit and take it slow like dpb suggested. Or if you
want to use a Forstner bit drill the desired hole size in a piece of
scrap and then clamp it to your bench to be the guide for the Forstner
bit to get it started. After you get deep enough you will no longer
need the guide and it can be discarded.

That's what I would do, even with a twist drill. The hole in the
"guide" scrap can be drilled at the same time. I'd probably use
hardboard for the guide.

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

This is an easy fix! Go to Harbor Freight and get one of their
recently inventoried "Negative Kerf" drill bits. They're fantastic!!
:-)

Should have used a portable hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI-I8DQD4LI
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/12/2013 10:30 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 10/12/2013 12:27 PM, scritch wrote:
I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them. Does
anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

Return the holdfast, buy one from gramercy. I have 2 and love them.

Best idea yet! I ordered up two, too. Then, in a flash of inspiration,
I turned a bunch of tapered plugs which I pounded into the holes I don't
think I need. They will make the top smoother and can be tapped out
from below should I need a new hole.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,
it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about
1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit
at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.
Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more
elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

I made my dog holes with a router and bearing guided router bit. They
ended up perfectly square to the table. You could enlarge an existing
hole by drilling an enlarged hole in a scrap piece and clamp that
scrap over the existing hole, then enlarge with the router. Once the
hole is started, you can go deeper in stages if the router bit is not
long enough.