Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default How to slightly enlarge a bench dog hole

On Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:27:38 AM UTC-5, scritch wrote:
I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite

substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some

bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4" diameter,

it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog holes by about

1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the shoulders of a spade bit

at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down the holes to enlarge them.

Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging

them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a more

elegant idea.

Thanks,

scritch

I would use the drill press to drill the proper sized holes in a substantial piece of hardwood. Then I'd clamp that hardwood to the proper position above the old holes and use it as a guide to enlarge the holes.

Mike