Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to slightly enlarge a bench dog hole

"scritch" wrote:

I made a workbench from some gluelams I got for free. It is quite
substantial, being about 5 inches thick; very solid. I drilled some
bench dog holes in it, and then I bought a holdfast.

Unfortunately, even though the holdfast was described as 3/4"
diameter, it's really a bit larger, and I need to enlarge the dog
holes by about 1/8". I saw one technique where you grind the
shoulders of a spade bit at 60 degrees and proceed carefully down
the holes to enlarge them. Does anyone have better ideas?

Also, I initially drilled too many holes. Any thoughts on plugging
them? I might just glue in some dowels, but someone might have a
more elegant idea.

Return the defective dog(s) and make your own,

Start with 3/4" x 3/4" x 8" maple or white oak piece.

Setup router table with a 3/8" round over bit and fence with stops.

Machine a "dogbone" with 3/4" round in center and 3/4" x 3/4" x 1"
ends.

Cross cut "dogbone" into two (2) equal pieces that become your bench
dogs.

Lew