Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Park Bench Quandry

My other half's grandmother finally had to move into an assisted
facility. She is in the process of selling her home and is giving some
things to the family. One item we got is a cast iron (aluminium?) and
wood bench that looks very much like this one...

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Fil...1571168235.jpg

Most of the slats are gone but I salvaged one of each size for
measurements in cutting news ones. However this bench has three straps
underneath that screw into the wooden slats, one of which is missing.
You can see the center one in the photo. The other two are one on each
side of the iron sides (top of lower arc), go across about one third
the length and up into a center slat, screwed in from the bottom.

Unfortunately one strap is missing. I was wondering how crucial are
the straps to the bench structure. Can I do without one? Or can I run
a rod across the length of the bottom of the bench instead?

The edges of the cast sides cover partially over the ends of the
boards when put together, so I am assuming the straps are to pull the
sides together. With about two thirds of the slats, and one strap,
missing, the bench is very wobbly. I suspect full slats will help but
I would like the bench to be as stable as possible.

Thanks for your input...
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

With about two thirds of the slats, and one strap,

missing, the bench is very wobbly. I suspect full slats will help but

I would like the bench to be as stable as possible.

Thanks for your input...

`Casper

I can't fully follow your description but I assume the "straps" are diagional to the slats and frames and are in different planes so they act as braces. this is what will stop the structure from racking. So a straight rod across the frames aligned with the slats won't do much for stability. Two rods crossing out of parallel to the slats connecting the frames will give you the opposing braces you really need for stability.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 16:45:03 -0400, Casper
wrote:

[...]

If you have a good one it would be fairly easy to use it to make a
bending form, and then if you had access to torches it would be fairly
easy to make one out of strap steel. It's importance probably depends
on the flexibilty of the slats.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article ,
says...

[...]

I helped a friend assemble two new versions of this type of bench
several years ago. The straps really need to screw into each slat. They
bridge the flexibility of the slats from one to the next so as to
stiffen up the bench. Without them the slats individually will flex and
could potentially break if someone were to stand in the center of one.

Most of these benches (at least the lower cost ones) come with slats
that are somewhere around 3/4 inch thick (or just under) and are quite
flexible over the bench span. More expensive benches (and ones with
greater than the usual span) come with slats that are more like 1.25
inches thick and are much stiffer - although the bench of that type that
I assembled still had the center strap.

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/10/2013 3:45 PM, Casper wrote:
[...]

The slats are a type of oak. Here it would be best to find white oak,
it will need to be milled thin enough to fit in the cast iron "slots" in
the end frames. The straps are to help keep the slats in plane with
each other. Wood tends to warp, so if you have one slat warp up and the
next one warp down, the seating can be uncomfortable. The little straps
are just there to help this problem. Your bench will be fine without
them, but can be added if there is a problem.

I suspect the Taiwan metric bolts have had better days. I would drill
out the frames to accept SAE 1/4-20 carriage, get new bolts, buy Nylox
type nuts. Stainless carriage bolts would be best.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I have one of these benches on my front porch and have rebuilet 3 in the
past using SS bolts and Ipe.

All 4 only had a single center strap running from the top top to the
bottom of the front slats. This strap ties all the slats together so
that all support the weight of the person/persons setting in on the bench.

FWIW I consider this style bench to be some what cruel to the person
sitting on it. Very uncomfortable for more than brief periods of time.

If you are missing slats there is no doubt that the bench is wobbly.
New benches are wobbly until you get all the slats installed and tighten
the bolts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My other half's grandmother finally had to move into an assisted
facility. She is in the process of selling her home and is giving some
things to the family. One item we got is a cast iron (aluminium?) and
wood bench...

Bench problem solved. Had to use a grinder to remove most of the bolts
and screws but managed to get 2 of each to stay whole. Managed to keep
3 strips of wood (two different sizes) that were mostly whole.

Cleaned the metal up and was deciding on paint when brother-in-law
decided he wanted the bench for his new double level deck. So, it's
now his project. Recommended he keep the straps and go with really
good water resistant parts if he intends to leave it out all year with
no cover. We'll see how he does. He's been finally getting into DiY
home projects, this new deck his biggest yet. Certainly makes for more
conversation during family gatherings.

Thanks for your input...
`Casper

park bench for my yard micky Home Repair 15 July 30th 12 06:56 PM
Flooring Quandry [email protected] UK diy 6 February 13th 12 04:42 PM
A Quandry Lew Hodgett Woodworking 7 August 24th 06 09:00 AM
Park Bench Greg O Woodworking 11 July 10th 06 09:00 PM
Quandry about a/c repair news.rcn.com Home Repair 7 August 26th 05 02:19 PM