Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Park Bench Quandry

On 10/10/2013 3:45 PM, Casper wrote:
My other half's grandmother finally had to move into an assisted
facility. She is in the process of selling her home and is giving some
things to the family. One item we got is a cast iron (aluminium?) and
wood bench that looks very much like this one...

http://www.chinatraderonline.com/Fil...1571168235.jpg

Most of the slats are gone but I salvaged one of each size for
measurements in cutting news ones. However this bench has three straps
underneath that screw into the wooden slats, one of which is missing.
You can see the center one in the photo. The other two are one on each
side of the iron sides (top of lower arc), go across about one third
the length and up into a center slat, screwed in from the bottom.

Unfortunately one strap is missing. I was wondering how crucial are
the straps to the bench structure. Can I do without one? Or can I run
a rod across the length of the bottom of the bench instead?

The edges of the cast sides cover partially over the ends of the
boards when put together, so I am assuming the straps are to pull the
sides together. With about two thirds of the slats, and one strap,
missing, the bench is very wobbly. I suspect full slats will help but
I would like the bench to be as stable as possible.

Thanks for your input...
`Casper

The slats are a type of oak. Here it would be best to find white oak,
it will need to be milled thin enough to fit in the cast iron "slots" in
the end frames. The straps are to help keep the slats in plane with
each other. Wood tends to warp, so if you have one slat warp up and the
next one warp down, the seating can be uncomfortable. The little straps
are just there to help this problem. Your bench will be fine without
them, but can be added if there is a problem.

I suspect the Taiwan metric bolts have had better days. I would drill
out the frames to accept SAE 1/4-20 carriage, get new bolts, buy Nylox
type nuts. Stainless carriage bolts would be best.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven