Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default Brad nailing cypress

I've been making fly catchers out of (a pallet of tongue and groove)
cypress and brad nailing them while the glue sets up.

What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Is this a problem unique to cypress? It's rather annoying having a brad
sticking out of the wood rather than through it! I've been watching the
grain to determine where to start the brad, but I'm thinking that there
must be a better way.

Also, who makes a good exterior wood glue? I used to like Franklin,
because it sanded well, but that is not a concern here.

Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:38:19 -0400, j wrote:
What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Brads *do* follow grain quite often. It's fairly common. Instead of
trying to explain what you need to, have a look at this link and then
ask questions if you have any. Scroll down about two pages.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/Nailers.htm
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/24/2013 8:38 AM, j wrote:
I've been making fly catchers out of (a pallet of tongue and groove)
cypress and brad nailing them while the glue sets up.

What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Is this a problem unique to cypress? It's rather annoying having a brad
sticking out of the wood rather than through it! I've been watching the
grain to determine where to start the brad, but I'm thinking that there
must be a better way.

Also, who makes a good exterior wood glue? I used to like Franklin,
because it sanded well, but that is not a concern here.

Jeff

Turn the nailer 90 degrees and try again.

--
Jeff

50 to 80k year old cypress basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 7 March 8th 13 04:24 PM
Cypress Jeff Thies Home Repair 8 March 6th 11 07:01 PM
Black Cypress Comcast Newsgroups Woodturning 13 January 30th 07 05:36 PM
Cypress Joe Woodworking 5 April 12th 05 07:17 PM
cypress Howard Osborne Woodworking 3 August 24th 04 02:26 PM