DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Brad nailing cypress (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/362339-brad-nailing-cypress.html)

j September 24th 13 01:38 PM

Brad nailing cypress

I've been making fly catchers out of (a pallet of tongue and groove)
cypress and brad nailing them while the glue sets up.

What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Is this a problem unique to cypress? It's rather annoying having a brad
sticking out of the wood rather than through it! I've been watching the
grain to determine where to start the brad, but I'm thinking that there
must be a better way.

Also, who makes a good exterior wood glue? I used to like Franklin,
because it sanded well, but that is not a concern here.

Jeff

[email protected] September 24th 13 01:53 PM

Brad nailing cypress

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:38:19 -0400, j wrote:
What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Brads *do* follow grain quite often. It's fairly common. Instead of
trying to explain what you need to, have a look at this link and then
ask questions if you have any. Scroll down about two pages.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/Nailers.htm

G. Ross September 24th 13 03:02 PM

Brad nailing cypress

wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:38:19 -0400, wrote:
What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Brads *do* follow grain quite often. It's fairly common. Instead of
trying to explain what you need to, have a look at this link and then
ask questions if you have any. Scroll down about two pages.

http://www.waterfront-woods.com/Articles/Nailers.htm

Good article.

--
 GW Ross

 I didn't fight my way to the top of
 the food chain to be a vegetarian.

woodchucker[_3_] September 24th 13 11:44 PM

Brad nailing cypress

On 9/24/2013 8:38 AM, j wrote:
I've been making fly catchers out of (a pallet of tongue and groove)
cypress and brad nailing them while the glue sets up.

What I've noticed is that the brads don't necessarily go where you point
them. What happens is that the brads follow the grain such that if the
grain is running diagonally the brad goes diagonally.

Is this a problem unique to cypress? It's rather annoying having a brad
sticking out of the wood rather than through it! I've been watching the
grain to determine where to start the brad, but I'm thinking that there
must be a better way.

Also, who makes a good exterior wood glue? I used to like Franklin,
because it sanded well, but that is not a concern here.

Jeff

Turn the nailer 90 degrees and try again.

--
Jeff