Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Black Cypress

Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter. Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 27, 1:38 pm, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter. Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Ralph, I don't have any experience with "Black Cypress" but, I have
recently turned 12 - 14 pieces from "plain old" Cypress. The bark on
the wood I turned held very well. I'm just beginning to experiment
with natural edge and Cypress seems to be quite conducive.

Please post pictures as I'm intrigued.

Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for your input Rick. This wood is really wet, just cut a week ago so
it will be awhile before I get down to rough turning some natural edge
pieces. Perhaps others will have more input re the bark on this specific
species before I get brave enough to try it. I have turned Italian Cypress
before but it didn't look anything like the black. The bark just doesn't
look like it will hold, if that makes any sense. I am hoping for some good
news.

Thanks again......Ralph

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph

Ralph no Cypress turner here, but I was interested in what tree the
Black Cypress was, after some digging, I found that American Cypress,
goes by a whole sluw of common names, Black Cypress being one of them.
I do have a link to some info if interested, also Ricks "plain old
Cypress" could well be what you have there.

http://tinyurl.com/2dn96r

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter. Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph
It makes sense that the bark looks like it may not stay on. But keeping the
bark on for a natural edge is a bit of a crap shoot anyway and the drier the
wood the less chance of keeping it, most of the time. Occasionally I piece
of wood will dry so that the bark feels cemented on but that is extremely
rare in my experience. I would rough these out now. I am not a cypress
turner (I could send you my address :-) ) but the fun part of turning is
roughing wet wood and stnding in the "rain" while you do it.
By the way, orient the wood carefully for turning. You will not only have
the usual lengthwise distortion but also stress distortion from the reaction
wood of a limb.
--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for your input Rick. This wood is really wet, just cut a week ago
so it will be awhile before I get down to rough turning some natural edge
pieces. Perhaps others will have more input re the bark on this specific
species before I get brave enough to try it. I have turned Italian
Cypress before but it didn't look anything like the black. The bark just
doesn't look like it will hold, if that makes any sense. I am hoping for
some good news.

Thanks again......Ralph

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ive been told that the sweet odour of this tree, coming from the
naturally occuring insect repellent named cypressine, is toxis. Air
filters should be used. Any confirmation on this issue?
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Darrell, I appreciate your feedback. You are right about turning NE
bowls w/bark when green. This is something I always do but was holding off
on turning it immediately as I have some other wet burl wood needing
attention first. This bark just seems like it will come off easily, it has
that peel off look(?). I will turn one or two next week and see what it
looks like when turned. And thanks for the tip on the orientation, very
important.

Norm, I hadn't heard about the possibility that the wood was toxic but
perhaps someone will respond with more information. I will check on Google
later on today as there are many lists out there on wood toxicity. Right
now getting ready to travel to visit my daughter.

Thanks again......Ralph

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph

Here's a "toxic wood link" seems Bald cypress dust might become a
respiratory sensitizer, but rarely.

http://mnwoodturners.com/New%20Membe...ds%20Chart.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 28, 11:53 am, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
[...]

groups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ralph
I should have mentioned this before. Here is a fun shape with branch wood.
The wet cypress should gve some great movement to the piece. The tamarac I
used was too dry.
http://aroundthewoods.com/bigwing01.html

--

[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the links Leo re wood toxicity and black locust, very
interesting. I think next week I will turn a couple pieces and see what
happens. I'll let you know what I find out.

Norm, thanks for the link, an interesting website, I enjoyed browsing the
information......Ralph

Norm, thanks for the link, interesting website, I enjoyed browsing........
ups.com...

wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot
but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this
wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter.
Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically
pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Rough turned Black Cypress

Hi everyone,

I rough turned one of those Black Locust turning blocks today. The little
bit of the bark came off one are but I was able to glue some bark back on,
looks OK. Not sure how well the bark will remain once turned to final
thickness. I normally allow NE bowls to be slightly wet when final turning
as some bark gets very brittle when real dry. I should be able to tell how
much movement is in the wood before then.

This is a link to the bowl I turned just so you can see what I have been
talking about. This bowl is @15 inches diameter. Thanks again everyone for
your help......Ralph

click on this link:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/3...a3dd410a_b.jpg

wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot
but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this
wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter.
Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically
pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Ralph

Yes I can see why you'd like to keep the bark on, that looks really
nice and old, should look very sharp after the wood has had some time
to mature color wise.

As for keeping the bark on, I have successfully used CA glue, just
carefully applied to the bark/wood seam.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in messagenews:5OCdndj2dcWEySDYnZ2dnUVZ_vGinZ2d@comca st.com...

Thanks for the links Leo re wood toxicity and black locust, very
interesting. I think next week I will turn a couple pieces and see what
happens. I'll let you know what I find out.

Norm, thanks for the link, an interesting website, I enjoyed browsing the
information......Ralph

Norm, thanks for the link, interesting website, I enjoyed browsing........
oups.com...

Cypress door Lowell Holmes Woodworking 4 September 25th 06 12:20 PM
Cypress Joe Woodworking 5 April 12th 05 07:17 PM
cypress stuff Howard Osborne Woodturning 0 December 26th 04 02:01 AM
cypress Howard Osborne Woodworking 3 August 24th 04 02:26 PM
Painting Cypress T.L.Miller Home Repair 2 December 12th 03 12:52 PM