Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cypress door

I'm going to make a new entrance door in order to keep the leaded glass that
is in the current door. I think I would like to use cypress for the door.
The door will probably be painted after it is made.

I'm in the Gulf Coast area and the winter months can be quite wet.

I am concerned about the door swelling when the seasons change. Also, I
don't know how painted cypress holds up.

Do any of you guys know any reason not to use the cypress?

My alternative is vertical grain fir.

Thanks in advance for any tips you have. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowell,

Before inserting glass or hardware, completely seal the door (and
especially the edges) with slightly thinned tung oil, next apply a coat
of Sealcoat, then paint. Cypress doesn't hold paint well, unless you
prime it well. The tung oil and Sealcoat is your primer, as opposed to
standard primer. You might want to spray paint the door (several
coats), rather than brush on your paint, but brushing is fine if you
have no sprayer.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lowell,

Before inserting glass or hardware, completely seal the door (and
especially the edges) with slightly thinned tung oil, next apply a coat
of Sealcoat, then paint. Cypress doesn't hold paint well, unless you
prime it well. The tung oil and Sealcoat is your primer, as opposed to
standard primer. You might want to spray paint the door (several
coats), rather than brush on your paint, but brushing is fine if you
have no sprayer.

Sonny

Sonny,

Thanks for responding.

In the same line of thought, what is the preferred adhesive? Intuitively, I
think of using urethane glue. Do you have to prepare the wood similarly to
the way teak is prepared for gluing?

Lowell

Posted to rec.woodworking

In the same line of thought, what is the preferred adhesive? Intuitively, I
think of using urethane glue. Do you have to prepare the wood similarly to
the way teak is prepared for gluing?

Lowell

I've never glued teak. I have never had to prep cypress (even old
cypress or sinker cypress), in any special way, for an outdoor or an
exterior door glue application. Titebond II is sufficient for your
application, as well.

Sonny

Stuck Door Bouffont UK diy 20 April 28th 06 06:24 PM
Door advice wanted please Flummoxed UK diy 9 April 11th 06 01:13 PM
Wayne Dalton Torquemaster and iDrive self-Install (Long) Scott Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 03:34 AM
Replacing a window with a door? HerHusband Home Repair 19 January 29th 05 03:55 PM
Keeping Door Closed Charlie S. Woodworking 18 January 18th 05 02:27 AM