Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Comcast Newsgroups Comcast Newsgroups is offline

Default Rough turned Black Cypress

Hi everyone,

I rough turned one of those Black Locust turning blocks today. The little
bit of the bark came off one are but I was able to glue some bark back on,
looks OK. Not sure how well the bark will remain once turned to final
thickness. I normally allow NE bowls to be slightly wet when final turning
as some bark gets very brittle when real dry. I should be able to tell how
much movement is in the wood before then.

This is a link to the bowl I turned just so you can see what I have been
talking about. This bowl is @15 inches diameter. Thanks again everyone for
your help......Ralph

click on this link:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/3...a3dd410a_b.jpg

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the links Leo re wood toxicity and black locust, very
interesting. I think next week I will turn a couple pieces and see what
happens. I'll let you know what I find out.

Norm, thanks for the link, an interesting website, I enjoyed browsing the
information......Ralph

Norm, thanks for the link, interesting website, I enjoyed browsing........
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Ralph

Ralph no Cypress turner here, but I was interested in what tree the
Black Cypress was, after some digging, I found that American Cypress,
goes by a whole sluw of common names, Black Cypress being one of them.
I do have a link to some info if interested, also Ricks "plain old
Cypress" could well be what you have there.

http://tinyurl.com/2dn96r

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 27, 1:38 pm, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot
but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this
wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter.
Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically
pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph