Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Black Cypress

Hi Ralph

Here's a "toxic wood link" seems Bald cypress dust might become a
respiratory sensitizer, but rarely.

http://mnwoodturners.com/New%20Membe...ds%20Chart.htm

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 28, 11:53 am, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
Thanks Darrell, I appreciate your feedback. You are right about turning NE
bowls w/bark when green. This is something I always do but was holding off
on turning it immediately as I have some other wet burl wood needing
attention first. This bark just seems like it will come off easily, it has
that peel off look(?). I will turn one or two next week and see what it
looks like when turned. And thanks for the tip on the orientation, very
important.

Norm, I hadn't heard about the possibility that the wood was toxic but
perhaps someone will respond with more information. I will check on Google
later on today as there are many lists out there on wood toxicity. Right
now getting ready to travel to visit my daughter.

Thanks again......Ralph

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in messagenews:uU%uh.4908$Y6.1478@edtnps89...

Ralph
It makes sense that the bark looks like it may not stay on. But keeping
the bark on for a natural edge is a bit of a crap shoot anyway and the
drier the wood the less chance of keeping it, most of the time.
Occasionally I piece of wood will dry so that the bark feels cemented on
but that is extremely rare in my experience. I would rough these out now.
I am not a cypress turner (I could send you my address :-) ) but the fun
part of turning is roughing wet wood and stnding in the "rain" while you
do it.
By the way, orient the wood carefully for turning. You will not only have
the usual lengthwise distortion but also stress distortion from the
reaction wood of a limb.
--

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
Thanks for your input Rick. This wood is really wet, just cut a week ago
so it will be awhile before I get down to rough turning some natural edge
pieces. Perhaps others will have more input re the bark on this specific
species before I get brave enough to try it. I have turned Italian
Cypress before but it didn't look anything like the black. The bark just
doesn't look like it will hold, if that makes any sense. I am hoping for
some good news.

Thanks again......Ralph

wrote in message
groups.com...

On Jan 27, 1:38 pm, "Comcast Newsgroups"
wrote:
Anyone have any information relative to wood characteristics of Black
Cypress. Have some pieces with nice bark and I am a natural edge bigot
but
I am not sure if the bark will hold. Anyone with experience with this
wood
care to comment?

Oh, the wood is from very large limbs, probably 14+" in diameter.
Because
of the weight of the limbs the pith is very low resulting in basically
pith
free turning, little waste.

Thanks.....Ralph

Ralph, I don't have any experience with "Black Cypress" but, I have
recently turned 12 - 14 pieces from "plain old" Cypress. The bark on
the wood I turned held very well. I'm just beginning to experiment
with natural edge and Cypress seems to be quite conducive.

Please post pictures as I'm intrigued.

Rick