Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 50 to 80k year old cypress

This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:40:35 AM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market? http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault basilisk

Too bad there weren't more pics of the big stuff, logs, but there probably weren't any logs, per se. I like reading reports as this.

Promise of use? Kind of reminds me of the goings on, not long ago, of Marathon Oil's expansion of their refinery in Caryville, La. During high water, 1800s, huge cypress were cut at the water's surface, leaving 15' - 20' of the trunk under water. Over time, silt covered those trunks. During the Marathon refinery construction, those old trunks were discovered. Report is only one trunk was salvaged and brought to one of the nearby plantations for display. Report was, salvaging other trunks would have cut into Marathon's time table for completing the construction, so no further salvaging efforts were made.

These reports came from my nephew, a contractor on that job, who said he dozed many of the stumps/logs off to the side. Said he was amazed with the discovery.

What a waste!

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2013 10:40 AM, basilisk wrote:

This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault

Cool.

Next thing you here, Al Gore, and his UN cronies, will be angling to
make some bucks off this:

"Scientists studying both ancient and modern day shorelines have
documented that Louisiana is sinking. The research also shows that
Alabama and a portion of the Texas shoreline have risen."

I'm wondering it is really ten miles offshore ... how convenient that is
within the 12 mile limit.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:59:00 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/7/2013 10:40 AM, basilisk wrote:

This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault

Cool.

Next thing you here, Al Gore, and his UN cronies, will be angling to
make some bucks off this:

"Scientists studying both ancient and modern day shorelines have
documented that Louisiana is sinking. The research also shows that
Alabama and a portion of the Texas shoreline have risen."

I'm wondering it is really ten miles offshore ... how convenient that is
within the 12 mile limit.

No doubt the morass of regulations would prevent any kind of meaningful
salvage.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:44:07 -0800 (PST), Sonny wrote:

[...]

Indeed, think what a table could made of a slab of that.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:40:35 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault

basilisk

Cool story, thanks.

Similar story he

http://www.ancientwood.com/

Ancient Kauri (30K - 50K yrs old). I've worked a few small boards of
this stuff. Very tight grained, takes an amazing polishing to 600
grit or more.

Also, the Mondavi Center at UC Davis has a lot of it. Worth the stop
if you're driving by.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/

ancient_underwater_forest_off.html#incart_river_de fault

basilisk

Cool story, thanks.

Similar story he

http://www.ancientwood.com/

Ancient Kauri (30K - 50K yrs old). I've worked a few small boards of
this stuff. Very tight grained, takes an amazing polishing to 600 grit
or more.

Also, the Mondavi Center at UC Davis has a lot of it. Worth the stop if
you're driving by.

-Zz

I'd love to have a slab of the ancient Kauri, beautiful stuff, it fetches
a good price.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/7/2013 8:40 AM, basilisk wrote:
This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market?

http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault

basilisk

These guys have been getting old cypress for several years now. They
also gather up the yellow pine....

http://www.oldgrowthriverwood.com/gallery.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldgrow...od/7803259816/

Cypress CP5609AMT Man-wai Chang Electronics Repair 3 March 19th 11 05:00 PM
Cypress Jeff Thies Home Repair 8 March 6th 11 07:01 PM
12 year-old girl and others charged in beating and branding incidentof 15-year-old AWS Electronics Repair 0 March 6th 11 04:37 AM
Cypress Joe Woodworking 5 April 12th 05 07:17 PM
cypress Howard Osborne Woodworking 3 August 24th 04 02:26 PM