Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default 50 to 80k year old cypress

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:40:35 AM UTC-6, basilisk wrote:
This has promise, wonder when we will see some of it on the market? http://blog.al.com/wire/2013/03/anci...iver_de fault basilisk

Too bad there weren't more pics of the big stuff, logs, but there probably weren't any logs, per se. I like reading reports as this.

Promise of use? Kind of reminds me of the goings on, not long ago, of Marathon Oil's expansion of their refinery in Caryville, La. During high water, 1800s, huge cypress were cut at the water's surface, leaving 15' - 20' of the trunk under water. Over time, silt covered those trunks. During the Marathon refinery construction, those old trunks were discovered. Report is only one trunk was salvaged and brought to one of the nearby plantations for display. Report was, salvaging other trunks would have cut into Marathon's time table for completing the construction, so no further salvaging efforts were made.

These reports came from my nephew, a contractor on that job, who said he dozed many of the stumps/logs off to the side. Said he was amazed with the discovery.

What a waste!

Sonny