Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing "Hardwood" floor

Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain Fir floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base like a typical foam brush which is covered by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like the right equipment?

It says can be recoated in 2 hours but no more than 2 coats a day. I am figuring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I think I need to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not looking forward to. Probably have to do that on my knees although I thought maybe using my drywall pole sander if I can find a fine enough grit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old
straight grain Fir floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have
some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend.
Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best
I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be
attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base
like a typical foam brush which is covered by about 1\4"
thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like
the right equipment?

I've used similar but not on floors. Mine is covered with a material sort
of like plush?mohair/velvet...vertical fibers maybe 3/16 long, close
together but not densly so. It works well.

There are similar commercial devices that are much wider.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I used a lamb's wool pad. Worked well for me.

Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2013 4:05 PM, Morgans wrote:

[...]

Same here .
I used it w/ both shellac and oil based poly
Works with both.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

[...]

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate
agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her
client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate

agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her

client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Yup, Fir is not a Hardwood. This is why I have "Hardwood" in quotes in the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I have slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

Also, Hardwood is really about the type of tree, broadleaf vs conifer and usually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is pretty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as Pine but is indeed a hardwood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:39:43 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate

agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her

client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Yup, Fir is not a Hardwood. This is why I have "Hardwood" in quotes in the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I have slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

Also, Hardwood is really about the type of tree, broadleaf vs conifer and usually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is pretty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as Pine but is indeed a hardwood.

....as is Balsa (a hardwood).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate

agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her

client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Yup, Fir is not a Hardwood. This is why I have "Hardwood" in quotes in the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I have slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

Also, Hardwood is really about the type of tree, broadleaf vs conifer and usually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is pretty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as Pine but is indeed a hardwood.

Southern Yellow Pine, SYP is pretty fricken hard.

And to add, Basla is technically, by definition, a hardwood.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:27:45 AM UTC-7, Leon wrote:

Fir is not hardwood. I get a laugh from some TV shows where real estate

agents take people around to look at houses. The dumb agent was telling her

client that the house had pine hardwood floors.

Yup, Fir is not a Hardwood. This is why I have "Hardwood" in quotes in the heading because calling it a Hardwood floor is much easier than saying "I have slats of straight grain Fir laid down on the floor of a house from wall to wall butted against each other and nailed down then sanded flat.

Also, Hardwood is really about the type of tree, broadleaf vs conifer and usually denotes something about actual hardness but Southern White Pine is pretty fricken hard (I am told) and I know Poplar is nearly as soft as Pine but is indeed a hardwood.

Southern Yellow Pine, SYP is pretty fricken hard.

And to add, Basla is technically, by definition, a hardwood.

That's right SYP not white pine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:22:10 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain Fir floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base like a typical foam brush which is covered by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like the right equipment?

It says can be recoated in 2 hours but no more than 2 coats a day. I am figuring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I think I need to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not looking forward to. Probably have to do that on my knees although I thought maybe using my drywall pole sander if I can find a fine enough grit.

Follow\Update.

I used Rustoleum Pro Finisher water based polyurethane from Home Depot. Used the 7" wide micro fiber applicator screwed onto a pole. The applicator had a little hinge to it so it made it real easy to use.

The finish was great top work with. No smell, I just washed it on and kind of scrubbed it in then did a smooth pass to flatten and even it out. Stayed totally open so you could rework for a few minutes in the same spot no prob. I had 2 1/2" wide flooring and did 6 slats at a time about a 3 foot section per dip in the pan. Did two coats of satin and it looks great.

No idea how durable but actually not too worried as it is a distressed look anyway with 100+ years of "character" anyway.