Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing "Hardwood" floor

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 1:22:10 PM UTC-7, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain Fir floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home Depot the best I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can be attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base like a typical foam brush which is covered by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like the right equipment?

It says can be recoated in 2 hours but no more than 2 coats a day. I am figuring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I think I need to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not looking forward to. Probably have to do that on my knees although I thought maybe using my drywall pole sander if I can find a fine enough grit.

Follow\Update.

I used Rustoleum Pro Finisher water based polyurethane from Home Depot. Used the 7" wide micro fiber applicator screwed onto a pole. The applicator had a little hinge to it so it made it real easy to use.

The finish was great top work with. No smell, I just washed it on and kind of scrubbed it in then did a smooth pass to flatten and even it out. Stayed totally open so you could rework for a few minutes in the same spot no prob. I had 2 1/2" wide flooring and did 6 slats at a time about a 3 foot section per dip in the pan. Did two coats of satin and it looks great.

No idea how durable but actually not too worried as it is a distressed look anyway with 100+ years of "character" anyway.