Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Finishing "Hardwood" floor

On 9/19/2013 4:05 PM, Morgans wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Last weekend I sanded out and stained a 100+ year old straight grain
Fir floor in a room about 12 x 12. I have some water based satin poly
to lay down this weekend. Everything I read says use a pad. At Home
Depot the best I could find was a 7" wide pad with a holder than can
be attached to a typical roller pole. It has foam as a base like a
typical foam brush which is covered by about 1\4" thick pad of a micro
fiber type material.

Anyone have experience doing this? Does this sound like the right
equipment?

It says can be recoated in 2 hours but no more than 2 coats a day. I
am figuring 2 coats on Saturday and another one or two on Sunday but I
think I need to scuff it before the Sunday coats which I am not
looking forward to. Probably have to do that on my knees although I
thought maybe using my drywall pole sander if I can find a fine enough
grit.

I used a lamb's wool pad. Worked well for me.

Jim in NC

Same here .
I used it w/ both shellac and oil based poly
Works with both.

--
Jeff