Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Old Craftsman 12" band saws

They're everywhere, popping up on craigslist all the time. Question is, can they be
tuned up to be decent band saws. I've only looked at one and it shook like Elvis on
speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mac Cool wrote:
They're everywhere, popping up on craigslist all the time. Question is, can they be
tuned up to be decent band saws. I've only looked at one and it shook like Elvis on
speed.

I had one, there is s reason there are a lot of them for sale. IMHO they
will only be marginally better than a $35 jig saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/14/2013 8:43 PM, Mac Cool wrote:
They're everywhere, popping up on craigslist all the time. Question is, can they be
tuned up to be decent band saws. I've only looked at one and it shook like Elvis on
speed.

I have one albeit from about 1939. A fresh drive shaft (supplied gratis
by a rec. reader), new guides and a general tune up and it has done a
lot of fine work (3/16" Timberwolf blade) on hardwoods (up to perhaps
4") and softwoods. Cost me $50 about 35 years ago. Well worth it. It
is one of the tools that I kept after giving the shop to a daughter.

mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn:

I have one albeit from about 1939.

Is it a Companion? I tried to buy one last year and someone beat me to it. Around
here you'd think band saws and drill presses were solid gold, they sell so fast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/15/2013 8:17 PM, Mac Cool wrote:
jo4hn:

I have one albeit from about 1939.

Is it a Companion? I tried to buy one last year and someone beat me to it. Around
here you'd think band saws and drill presses were solid gold, they sell so fast.

Craftsman model 103.0103. If you're really desperate, I can let it go
for under a half million. ;-) It is not a Companion and finding
references to this Craftsman is rather difficult. I do have a "sort of"
manual published in 1969 but be assured that no parts are available
through Sears.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/14/2013 10:43 PM, Mac Cool wrote:
They're everywhere, popping up on craigslist all the time. Question is, can they be tuned up to be decent band saws. I've only looked at
one and itshook like Elvis on speed.

'Pends on what it is that's wrong and how much "tuning" one wants to
do...and a lot has to do w/ how old it really is/what model it is.
Craftsman stuff is all over from some the really, really old stuff is
quite nice, actually, to some of the 70s and 80s was pretty much
worthless from the git-go to everything in between...

Bearings, tires, balancing the wheels and perhaps a set of aftermarket
guides and you've invested what a decent recent knockoff might cost if
all are needed. OTOH, if all it is is a set of replacement tires and
cleaning up, could be good deal...

IOW, no way to be at all definitive from afar; only evaluating each is
really apropos to each, unfortunately.