Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Totally Off Topic - Escape Artist Blues

A couple years ago I showed my wife some pictures that Swingman had posted
about his cute little dog. Since we had recently lost our dog after about
15 years, she decided that we would look for something of a similar breed.
So we looked around a bought a bouncing little puppy which we named Bucky.
When I bought him, I went through my back yard and puppy proofed the fence.
I had fantasies that would be the end of it.

It turns out that this dog, who weighs 15 pounds, can escape through an
opening of an inch or so. I have replaced numerous fence boards, piled up
rocks on the bottoms of fences, applied mesh fencing over the wood fence and
even stacked up some tires in strategic places. I have reinforced the fence
in numerous places and even replaced a couple posts. And the little *******
still gets out.

He is a sweet dog and loves people, particularly kids. He gets out and
finds someone and makes friends. Today, it took us about an hour and a half
to find him. He was scooped up by a friendly neighbor, who I have not met
until today, and I ran into him while looking for him. He is a nice dog,
but definitely intellectually limited. We can not continue to rely on the
kindness of strangers for him to come back. We are putting some kind of ID
tag on him and getting him microchipped.

It turns out he got out through a small animal trail under the corner. It
was completely covered with vegetation. I am sure he just followed his nose
and kind of fell through. I filled in the hole with concrete chunks and
will finish it off tomorrow with some concrete. And it turns out I have to
do some fence repairs on the fence from two different neighbor's property.
The neighbors are all totally cool and love little Bucky. The guy who found
him has three small dogs of his own. And they are happy to help with fence
repairs with paying for materials and helping me do the repairs.

If all goes well, I will spend the next three days doing these repairs.
Sooooooo....., ask me what I am going to do for labor day weekend? That's
right, creating a puppy fortress, a Bucky jail, a fence system that can
withstand full scale frontal assaults from zombie hordes. I feel like a
prepper preparing for Armageddon. I also have to totally surround the deck
in back with some wire mesh fencing.

The neighbors have been totally cool about this. Another neighbor heard
about out little adventure today and offered to contribute some fencing
materials for any kind of repair. He just fenced his yard and had some
surplus materials and had met Bucky while my wife walked him. And he wanted
to help. That was nice. I will go by tomorrow and see what he has. I am
being totally paranoid. All common repairs are not adequate against a wily
little escape artist who can somehow or another squeeze through a small
opening that a mouse would have trouble getting through.

My honey wanted a small dog that was social and did not make big messes in
the back yard. Bucky certainly qualifies in this fashion. But this escape
artist BS in a pain in the ass! Swingman, this is all your fault! I should
have never showed Dawn the pictures!

Grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch.

End of rant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

My honey wanted a small dog that was social and did not make big
messes in the back yard. Bucky certainly qualifies in this fashion. But
this escape artist BS in a pain in the ass! Swingman, this is
all your fault! I should have never showed Dawn the pictures!

Grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch.

Sounds like quite the entertaining fellow. Better you than me Lee...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2013 2:12 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

My honey wanted a small dog that was social and did not make big messes
in the back yard. Bucky certainly qualifies in this fashion. But this
escape artist BS in a pain in the ass! Swingman, this is all your
fault! I should have never showed Dawn the pictures!

Grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch.

LOL ... sounds like Bucky may be smarter than his masters.

Feel your pain. We have his twin, a juvenile delinquent named Sadie
Belle, AKA "Houdini". She's a master of escape, or entry, whichever
suits her purpose at the time.

We couldn't figure out how my pup's, Pandi Belle, food was disappearing.

We'd put food in the indoor pen when Pandi was too young to fend for
herself, only to come back an hour later and the bowl would be empty,
but no one in the pen ... Mystery solved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0tcIdhKX_I

Like you, I escape proofed our front porch, let Sadie out, and before
I'd quit congratulating myself, she was already out and strolling down
the sidewalk.

Pandi and I are together in AR at the lake house as we speak. She would
rather ride in the truck than eat. She and I spent 7 hours driving up
here yesterday, and she's at the door right now wanting to go somewhere.

Here's what I have to put up with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRM3AiNSfk

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
[...]

LOL. Would you like for me to send you pictures of our Great Dane?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

LOL. Would you like for me to send you pictures of our Great Dane?

Well, I can be reasonably certain that your big dog can not escape through
small holes in the fence. Just think, as a big dog owner, you don't have to
deal with that little problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 04:59:35 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

Lee ...

Had the same problem with our dogs escaping the yard. Ended up investing in an electronic fence. Works perfectly. Our dogs are chasers and we get a lot of wildlife -- deer, foxes, racoons -- running through our yard. My gals will chase them right to the border and then jam on their brakes.

I had a neighbor who thought the same. Their lab would run full speed
at the "fence" and take his medicine. He was then free to roam until
they could track him down. Then he didn't want to come home because
he'd just have to do it again. He certainly would no longer come home
on his own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Lee ...

Had the same problem with our dogs escaping the yard. Ended up
investing in an electronic fence. Works perfectly. Our dogs are
chasers and we get a lot of wildlife -- deer, foxes, racoons -- running
through our yard. My gals will chase them right to the border and then
jam on their brakes.

I had a neighbor who thought the same. Their lab would run full speed
at the "fence" and take his medicine. He was then free to roam until
they could track him down. Then he didn't want to come home because
he'd just have to do it again. He certainly would no longer come home
on his own.

I had a chow that would get down on his belly and belly crawl until
he cleared the shock zone, howling in pain the whole time, it was painful
to watch.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2013 1:25 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

LOL. Would you like for me to send you pictures of our Great Dane?

Well, I can be reasonably certain that your big dog can not escape
through small holes in the fence. Just think, as a big dog owner, you
don't have to deal with that little problem.

;~)

Totally Off Topic Unbeliever[_2_] UK diy 11 November 11th 10 05:54 PM
totally off topic Dave UK diy 12 August 3rd 10 06:52 PM
totally off topic Dave UK diy 21 May 10th 10 05:08 PM
TOTALLY Off Topic Leon Woodworking 10 August 12th 08 01:11 AM
Totally off topic Dave UK diy 52 June 12th 06 10:12 PM