Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Totally Off Topic

Bearing mind the time of year, and its remembrance of those who died in
times of war, the total futility of war.

Can anyone (without using a search engine) say who wrote these words in
October 1915?

"Standing as I do in view of God and eternity
I realise that Patriotism is not enough

I must have no Hatred or Bitterness toward anyone"

Their poignancy is all the more considering that this very brave person was
in fact executed simply for doing what she believed in.

I am not interested this time in flame wars with anyone, I simply found
these words when doing some research today on a totally different subject
(in fact, on a distant relative who fought at Mons - as part of the family
history), and while I am a total atheist, I have great admiration for the
unshakeable faith of someone in those very dire circumstances.

Unbeliever

The answer is below;

Nurse Edith Louisa Cavell

1865 - 1915

Information can be found at http://www.edithcavell.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2010 21:55, Unbeliever wrote:

I am not interested this time in flame wars with anyone, I simply found
these words when doing some research today on a totally different subject
(in fact, on a distant relative who fought at Mons - as part of the family
history),

This week I note the pay site ancestry.co.uk is offering free access to
WW1 records at:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ukmilitary_offer?o_iid=46116&o_lid=46116

Just looked up my g-grandpa - it's a weird feeling reading his original
records.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 10/11/2010 21:55, Unbeliever wrote:

I am not interested this time in flame wars with anyone, I simply
found these words when doing some research today on a totally
different subject (in fact, on a distant relative who fought at Mons
- as part of the family history),

This week I note the pay site ancestry.co.uk is offering free access
to WW1 records at:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ukmilitary_offer?o_iid=46116&o_lid=46116

Just looked up my g-grandpa - it's a weird feeling reading his
original records.

David

Lest we forget.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...

On 10/11/2010 21:55, Unbeliever wrote:

I am not interested this time in flame wars with anyone, I simply found
these words when doing some research today on a totally different subject
(in fact, on a distant relative who fought at Mons - as part of the family
history),

This week I note the pay site ancestry.co.uk is offering free access to
WW1 records at:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ukmilitary_offer?o_iid=46116&o_lid=46116

Just looked up my g-grandpa - it's a weird feeling reading his original
records.

Very interesting, though frustrating at first.

I looked up my (maternal) grandfather and, despite knowing his full
name, year of birth, service number, etc., [1] couldn't find him. I
later saw a note that says that 60% of the WW1 records were destroyed in
an air raid in 1940.

I did find my father's records though, and found out some of his history
- he died when I was 3, so I don't know a lot ...

[1] My grandfather was killed on the Somme in 1916 and I have the
information from the Commonwealth War Grave Commission's website
http://www.cwgc.org/

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2010 9:14 AM, Terry Casey wrote:

I looked up my (maternal) grandfather and, despite knowing his full
name, year of birth, service number, etc., [1] couldn't find him. I
later saw a note that says that 60% of the WW1 records were destroyed in
an air raid in 1940.

I did find my father's records though, and found out some of his history
- he died when I was 3, so I don't know a lot ...

I tried to look up my mother's records - she was a radio operator in
Bomber Command. Couldn't find a thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SO Viemeister wrote:
On 11/11/2010 9:14 AM, Terry Casey wrote:

I looked up my (maternal) grandfather and, despite knowing his full
name, year of birth, service number, etc., [1] couldn't find him. I
later saw a note that says that 60% of the WW1 records were
destroyed in an air raid in 1940.

I did find my father's records though, and found out some of his
history - he died when I was 3, so I don't know a lot ...

I tried to look up my mother's records - she was a radio operator in
Bomber Command. Couldn't find a thing.

I checked with the resident Ancestry junkie. She confirms that WWII
records have not been released let alone published by Ancestry.

I am also advised that your mother (if still alive) or you (if not) may
be able to get the records by applying to the RAF. I stress *may* as we
don't know if WAFF records counted as service records and were kept by
the RAF. See
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...sHeldByMod.htm

HTH
--
Robin
PM may be sent to raw{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2010 10:01 AM, Robin wrote:
SO Viemeister wrote:
I tried to look up my mother's records - she was a radio operator in
Bomber Command. Couldn't find a thing.

I checked with the resident Ancestry junkie. She confirms that WWII
records have not been released let alone published by Ancestry.

I am also advised that your mother (if still alive) or you (if not) may
be able to get the records by applying to the RAF. I stress *may* as we
don't know if WAFF records counted as service records and were kept by
the RAF. See
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...sHeldByMod.htm

HTH

Thank you.
Mum died last week, and never got around to applying for the medals she
was entitled to, even though she thought they'd be a nice keepsake for
one of the grandchildren. I'd like to have her records, to add to the
family history.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2010 21:55, Unbeliever wrote:

Can anyone (without using a search engine) say who wrote these words in
October 1915?

"Standing as I do in view of God and eternity
I realise that Patriotism is not enough

I must have no Hatred or Bitterness toward anyone"

Their poignancy is all the more considering that this very brave person was
in fact executed simply for doing what she believed in.

I don't suppose there were many women executed during WW1. I can only
recall the names of two and of those the quote is much more likely to be
from the relatively unknown nurse rather than the well known spy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 4:07*pm, Roger Chapman wrote:
On 10/11/2010 21:55, Unbeliever wrote:

Can anyone (without using a search engine) say who wrote these words in
October 1915?

"Standing as I do in view of God and eternity
I realise that Patriotism is not enough

I must have no Hatred or Bitterness toward anyone"

Their poignancy is all the more considering that this very brave person was
in fact executed simply for doing what she believed in.

I don't suppose there were many women executed during WW1. I can only
recall the names of two and of those the quote is much more likely to be
from the relatively unknown nurse rather than the well known spy.

You mean the one named in the OPs post?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SO Viemeister wrote:
I tried to look up my mother's records - she was a radio operator in
Bomber Command. Couldn't find a thing.

I checked with the resident Ancestry junkie. She confirms that WWII
records have not been released let alone published by Ancestry.

I am also advised that your mother (if still alive) or you (if not)
may be able to get the records by applying to the RAF. I stress
*may* as we don't know if WAFF records counted as service records
and were kept by the RAF. See
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...sHeldByMod.htm

HTH

Thank you.
Mum died last week, and never got around to applying for the medals
she was entitled to, even though she thought they'd be a nice
keepsake for one of the grandchildren. I'd like to have her records,
to add to the family history.

With the same caveat as before about WAAFs, you may be able to claim any
medals to which your mother was entitled. See
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De.../MedalFaqs.htm

Apologies for taking a TOT thread further OT. You can of course get a
lot more help from the genealogy groups (some of which I see you are
already aware of).
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2010 16:30, Man at B&Q wrote:

You mean the one named in the OPs post?

Funnily enough yes although I was unaware of it until you mentioned the
postscript. I don't see any point in scrolling down when the poster's
signature is already in view.

totally off topic Dave UK diy 12 August 3rd 10 06:52 PM
totally off topic Dave UK diy 21 May 10th 10 05:08 PM
TOTALLY Off Topic Leon Woodworking 10 August 12th 08 01:11 AM
Totally off topic Dave UK diy 52 June 12th 06 10:12 PM
totally off topic, car insurance rob UK diy 13 March 10th 06 04:14 PM