Posted to rec.woodworking

Default shrinkage?

I recently noticed that the doors on a pine bookshelf, a gift to me, bought at
a certain BigBox store, do not meet.

the gap is now at least 1/3 of an inch.

Can the wood shrink that much?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:10:11 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

I recently noticed that the doors on a pine bookshelf, a gift to me, bought at
a certain BigBox store, do not meet.

the gap is now at least 1/3 of an inch.

Can the wood shrink that much?

Yes, they can. Probably a big gap to start with too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/19/2013 4:10 AM, Contrarian wrote:
I recently noticed that the doors on a pine bookshelf, a gift to me, bought at
a certain BigBox store, do not meet.

the gap is now at least 1/3 of an inch.

Can the wood shrink that much?

Likely a built in over compensation to insure that the doors do not
touch. If it has Euro hinges you can adjust that out pretty easily.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Contrarian
wrote:

I recently noticed that the doors on a pine bookshelf, a gift to me, bought
at
a certain BigBox store, do not meet.

the gap is now at least 1/3 of an inch.

Can the wood shrink that much?

It can... Pick up a board stretcher and you should be able to get it
back to size.

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 09:10:11 +0000 (UTC),
inquired:

Can the wood shrink that much?

Yes, they can. Probably a big gap to start with too.

there's a silver lining; I can just take the doors *off* and replace them with
lucite. and hide the sides with higher screens.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
Likely a built in over compensation to insure that the doors do not
touch. If it has Euro hinges you can adjust that out pretty easily.

oh. shucks.

the gap did get bigger though
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:
It can... Pick up a board stretcher and you should be able to get it
back to size.

thanks, sort of.

loose cover shrinkage Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 9 April 16th 12 08:34 AM
Shrinkage Bill[_37_] Woodworking 7 March 9th 11 02:05 PM
Green Oak Post shrinkage Housemartin UK diy 12 January 13th 09 12:24 PM
Concrete shrinkage - how much and when does it stop Sean UK diy 2 February 3rd 05 01:05 AM
CTX PL7 monitor horizontal shrinkage Kirk S. Electronics Repair 1 October 2nd 04 05:37 AM