Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hot dog!

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley. Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot
clamps. I have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for
two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25
cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley.
Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole
for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

These days plumbing distributors sell precut and threaded pipe nipples
produced by specialty suppliers who do nothing but produce pipe
nipples.

10 ft max and typically over night availability.

Cutting and threading a standard size nipple at the local distributor
or hardware
store these days just isn't competitive any more.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:51d5c6bc$0$1567$c3e8da3
:

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot
clamps. I have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for
two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25
cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley.
Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole
for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

These days plumbing distributors sell precut and threaded pipe nipples
produced by specialty suppliers who do nothing but produce pipe
nipples.

10 ft max and typically over night availability.

Cutting and threading a standard size nipple at the local distributor
or hardware
store these days just isn't competitive any more.

Lowe's and Home Depot seem to think it's competitive: you can walk into any of their stores
and get 10' sections of pipe cut to whatever length you need, and threaded on the spot.

What's not competitive is buying pipe online: anything you might possibly save on the cost
of the pipe is more than consumed by the cost of shipping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

[...]

Menards, if you happen to have one local, has them ready to go--lots of
common lengths.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Menards, if you happen to have one local, has them ready to go--lots
of common lengths.

Lowes does too... but it's a little odd. You can buy a 10' pipe and have
it cut and threaded for approximately what a 2' or 4' prethreaded pipe
costs. (I don't remember the exact number... I built a hockey net a few
years ago using Lowes pipe.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I
have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers
until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes
your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley. Screwed
a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at
the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry

I do not why folks buy "pipe" when there is such a better alternative. Go
over to the electrical department and buy ridgid conduit. A lot cheaper -
or was the last time I bought it.

Lowes, etc, will cut and thread it for you also.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2013 11:47 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
Gramp's shop wrote:

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I
have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers
until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes
your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley. Screwed
a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at
the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry

I do not why folks buy "pipe" when there is such a better alternative. Go
over to the electrical department and buy ridgid conduit. A lot cheaper -
or was the last time I bought it.

Lowes, etc, will cut and thread it for you also.

Deb

I would think that the purpose the material is to be used for, would
determine what type of material you should buy REGARDLESS of cost.

There are areas that conduit will not be applicable and may create a hazard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/4/2013 12:37 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley. Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry

Take 2, 2x4's and cut two short blocks off of each. Attach one black on
one end, the other on the opposite end AND side. Those are now your bar
clamps. Us a short clamp to pull them together.
Posted to rec.woodworking

That's essentially what I did, using the wonder dogs and a couple of 2x4s. Worked great.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

[...]

How a hazard and why would it not be applicable? Understand we are
talking thick walled conduit, not the thin wall.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 15:54:56 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Take 2, 2x4's and cut two short blocks off of each. Attach one black on
one end, the other on the opposite end AND side. Those are now your bar
clamps. Us a short clamp to pull them together.

Yabbut, it looks a lot prettier to have several full length clamps
ready for use on a moment's notice.

Besides, 2x4's are so expensive these days.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Gramp's shop wrote:
It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I
have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8
footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch.
Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley.
Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for
the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry

I have well over 2 dozen pipe clamps varying in length from around a foot
to over 8 feet. I've never paid for a piece of pipe to use with the clamps.
It's commonly available at demolition sites, construction sites
(for the shorter lengths), places where plumbing is being upgraded,
and plenty of other free sources...

(please note that while I am a cheapskate, I do buy new pipe for plumbing
projects!)

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.