Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Hot dog!

In article ,
Gramp's shop wrote:
It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I
have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8
footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch.
Kinda takes your breath away.

I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley.
Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for
the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.

Larry

I have well over 2 dozen pipe clamps varying in length from around a foot
to over 8 feet. I've never paid for a piece of pipe to use with the clamps.
It's commonly available at demolition sites, construction sites
(for the shorter lengths), places where plumbing is being upgraded,
and plenty of other free sources...

(please note that while I am a cheapskate, I do buy new pipe for plumbing
projects!)

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.