Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Anyone heard of Charlie Self lately?

I was asked a question on FB by a Judith Austin, whom I didn't know
(yet). Had I heard anything from or about Charlie Self, the woodworker,
car enthousiast, photographer, and author who also used to frequent the
rec? I hadn't heard from him since about March 6, when he mentioned
something about his leg that needed fixing. His phone has been
disconnected, and according to Judith, his email address doesn't answer,
and Charlie's wife seems to have disappeared too.

If anyone knows anything about Charlie, please answer here (and if you
can to opahan at yahoo point com). Morris Dovey hadn't heard anything
and suggested I post here.

I know it is a bit preposterous for me to ask whether anyone has heard
anything about Charlie Self , since I have been absent fairly long too.
There is no real reason for that, other than that I am ashamed I haven't
made progress with the coffee table I am working on.

Thanks in advance for your notes!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01 Jul 2013 20:15:26 GMT, Han wrote:

I know it is a bit preposterous for me to ask whether anyone has heard
anything about Charlie Self , since I have been absent fairly long too.
There is no real reason for that, other than that I am ashamed I haven't
made progress with the coffee table I am working on.

Thanks in advance for your notes!

His web site is still up, but no way to contact him.
As we get older, stuff happens and people disappear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On 01 Jul 2013 20:15:26 GMT, Han wrote:

I know it is a bit preposterous for me to ask whether anyone has heard
anything about Charlie Self , since I have been absent fairly long too.
There is no real reason for that, other than that I am ashamed I haven't
made progress with the coffee table I am working on.

Thanks in advance for your notes!

His web site is still up, but no way to contact him.
As we get older, stuff happens and people disappear.

I tried the phone number I have for him and it doesn't appear to be in
service. I sent him e-mails at the two addresses I have for him... waiting
to see what happens.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
[...]

Pretty sure I got email from him about two months ago, IIRC. I was out of
town at the time, so no telling which device/folder I saved it on/in. I'll
do some digging.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 07/01/2013 01:15 PM, Han wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, I found this:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-R.-Self-95073613

Hope it's a different Charlie...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...

Unfortunately, I found this:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-R.-Self-95073613

Hope it's a different Charlie...

I think it is a different guy... the DOB and city do not match what I know
of him....

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Unfortunately, I found this:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-R.-Self-95073613

Hope it's a different Charlie...

The age is about right.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
m:

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
eb.com...

Unfortunately, I found this:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Charles-R.-Self-95073613

Hope it's a different Charlie...

I think it is a different guy... the DOB and city do not match what I
know of him....

John

I agree that is a different Charlie, he is from Bedford, VA (says
Facebook still). I have a post on Facebook from Charlie on March 6,
where he talks about " the therapist felt I had a slight infection on the
knee replacement wound"

I didn't like it, but Charlie didn't post very often, so I lost track
until Judith asked me about Charlie.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote:

I agree that is a different Charlie, he is from Bedford, VA (says
Facebook still). I have a post on Facebook from Charlie on March 6,
where he talks about " the therapist felt I had a slight infection
on the
knee replacement wound"

I didn't like it, but Charlie didn't post very often, so I lost
track
until Judith asked me about Charlie.

SFWIW, Charlie was born in the NYC area and from my ragged memory,
moved south after serving in the marines.

As posted else where, Charlie and I were of about the same age, so
I'lll
buy the birthdate posted.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:51d23bd2$0$2686
:

"Han" wrote:

I agree that is a different Charlie, he is from Bedford, VA (says
Facebook still). I have a post on Facebook from Charlie on March 6,
where he talks about " the therapist felt I had a slight infection
on the
knee replacement wound"

I didn't like it, but Charlie didn't post very often, so I lost
track
until Judith asked me about Charlie.

SFWIW, Charlie was born in the NYC area and from my ragged memory,
moved south after serving in the marines.

As posted else where, Charlie and I were of about the same age, so
I'lll
buy the birthdate posted.

Lew

Apparently Judith has been in contact, and Charlie is OK. More later, as
I get the info.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote:
Apparently Judith has been in contact, and Charlie is OK. More
later, as
I get the info.

Any more info?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I heard from Charlie via e-mail the other day on my iPhone. I haven't had
access to the Rec since so this is the first chance I've had to post.

He has been dealing with a number of issues and wasn't able to get to a
computer for months... He is hopeful that he'll be all settled down by
October. At that time he can tell all as much or little as he'd like about
what he's been doing.

Contrary to earlier reports, and in line with my response to same, the news
of his demise is premature.... he'll be back!

John

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Han" wrote:
Apparently Judith has been in contact, and Charlie is OK. More later, as
I get the info.

Any more info?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 14:42:23 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Contrary to earlier reports, and in line with my response to same, the
news of his demise is premature.... he'll be back!

Good to know. Thanks.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I heard from Charlie via e-mail the other day on my iPhone. I haven't
had access to the Rec since so this is the first chance I've had to
post.

He has been dealing with a number of issues and wasn't able to get
to a computer for months... He is hopeful that he'll be all settled
down by October. At that time he can tell all as much or little as
he'd like about what he's been doing.

Contrary to earlier reports, and in line with my response to same,
the news of his demise is premature.... he'll be back!

That sure beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Thank you for the post.

Lew

Thanks charlie b and others CM Woodworking 0 April 11th 08 03:26 AM
Does Charlie Self has a new gig? Teamcasa Woodworking 2 May 31st 06 11:56 PM
3 Jaw Charlie jerry wass Metalworking 1 June 29th 05 05:14 AM
Anybody heard from Charlie Self? Patriarch Woodworking 17 March 30th 05 02:38 AM
Charlie Self Eugene Woodworking 18 September 8th 04 03:05 PM