Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bookcase "bridge" design: Dado layout questions

This is a (very) preliminary design fro a "bridge" to join two bookcase units I built. The bottom of this unit will be seen; the top and sides will not. It would be approximately 48" x 23" x 12" deep.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57632376881493

The bottom drawing shows the face frame as it would be seen; the top drawing is the plywood cabinet that would go behind it. I'm wondering if ...

1. The dado layout shown is sensible.
2. The dado layout shown will prove too complex for me to glue up properly in the allotted time.

Regarding (2.), I have made another diagram the shows the order I think I would need to glue up the pieces in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7632376881493/

First the 4 Red pieces
Then the Orange piece
Then the two Yellow pieces
Then the two Green pieces
Lastly, the Blue piece.

[aside: Did anyone else learn the resistor color code? And yes, I know I left out Black and Brown. And yes, I have heard all of the various off-color mnemonics for it. And no, I won't be reproducing them here]

Maybe the blue piece should go on earlier? I think maybe it should, but I'm too lazy to redo the screenshot. The clamping would be a little tricky too, especially with my modest inventory. Does anyone ever clamp a box like this with it standing vertically? I'm guessing not; too easy to have it end up twisted.

As always, advice would be appreciated.