Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pics in ABPW

Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3 custom
beds for a client in Aspen Colorado.
The sectional shows various stages of the job, but I never
took a final picture of the final piece with back cushions
and kidney pillows
It was all coil spring construction with spring down seat.
The frame is 5/4 poplar doweled and screwed (yes Leon, I
know I could have used a domino)g
cushion and all down(50/50) back pillows
The King-size bed is upholstered in a gray wool and is very
contemporary as is the sectional.
They will be picking up the bed on Tuesday here in Dallas to
install in Aspen at the end of the month
Thanks for looking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 18, 2013 12:00:11 AM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3 custom beds

Looks great. Excellent pattern alignment/matching on the sectional - cushion to boxing.

At first glance (viewing bottom pics first), the headboard looks kind of odd, as it stands alone in your shop, if I'm seeing correctly.... Are those (fabric) seams, crisscrossing the headboard? The seams' appearance, in some pictures, kind of takes away from the rest of the excellent job. I suppose there's a purposeful reason for that crisscross look, that those geometric design features are (possibly) for coordinating with some similar design feature in the bedroom, i.e., will no longer stand alone. In the second pic, from the ABPW top, those rectangles look much better, more appropriate, in the stand alone shop setting.... the design feature/effect is more appreciable.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Thanks
Yeah it's seamed, they wanted it divided into 4 equal
sections and top-stitched.
It doesn't look equal now, but with the mattress on it will
be
I don't like it, but it does give it some detail to an
otherwise plain headboard.
The sectional fabric was a mofo, each time I cut it I would
have to take it to the serger and serge it to keep it from
raveling.
They also lucked out with the fabric lining up horizontally
across the tops of the cushion fom the sofa to the chaise.
They originally wanted the chaise part to be 84" long and I
told them it would be long and made it 72" long. A couple of
inches either way would have made the pattern mismatch
across the top.
Thanks again for looking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/18/2013 1:00 AM, ChairMan wrote:
Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3 custom
beds for a client in Aspen Colorado.
The sectional shows various stages of the job, but I never
took a final picture of the final piece with back cushions
and kidney pillows
It was all coil spring construction with spring down seat.
The frame is 5/4 poplar doweled and screwed (yes Leon, I
know I could have used a domino)g
cushion and all down(50/50) back pillows
The King-size bed is upholstered in a gray wool and is very
contemporary as is the sectional.
They will be picking up the bed on Tuesday here in Dallas to
install in Aspen at the end of the month
Thanks for looking

Really nice work.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:
Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3 custom
beds for a client in Aspen Colorado.
The sectional shows various stages of the job, but I never
took a final picture of the final piece with back cushions
and kidney pillows
It was all coil spring construction with spring down seat.
The frame is 5/4 poplar doweled and screwed (yes Leon, I
know I could have used a domino)g
cushion and all down(50/50) back pillows
The King-size bed is upholstered in a gray wool and is very
contemporary as is the sectional.
They will be picking up the bed on Tuesday here in Dallas to
install in Aspen at the end of the month
Thanks for looking

Very well done. A ton of work, not obvious to the untrained eye, skillfully
executed to the point of making it look simple and easy, but elegant.
Kudos!

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Posted to rec.woodworking

ChairMan wrote:

Thanks
Yeah it's seamed, they wanted it divided into 4 equal
sections and top-stitched.
It doesn't look equal now, but with the mattress on it will
be
I don't like it, but it does give it some detail to an
otherwise plain headboard.
The sectional fabric was a mofo, each time I cut it I would
have to take it to the serger and serge it to keep it from
raveling.
They also lucked out with the fabric lining up horizontally
across the tops of the cushion fom the sofa to the chaise.
They originally wanted the chaise part to be 84" long and I
told them it would be long and made it 72" long. A couple of
inches either way would have made the pattern mismatch
across the top.
Thanks again for looking

I can't appreciate everything that goes into a project like this, since I've
never undertaken a similar task. What I can appreciate is a job well done.
As Karl said - so well done it makes it look like it was easy...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Karl, as you and Leon know all to well, the customers
always think you should be able to do it cheaper than the
factories.
When the fact is quite the opposite. As far as simple and
easy, quality never is. There is so much more that goes into
furniture than people really understand.
I can't tell you how many times a client/designer has said,
" Can't you just pad it out?" I wish it were that easy.
Thanks again for the kudos

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

[...]

Thanks Mike.
I'm always overbuilding or over thinking jobs, because I
hate to do things twice. ( can you say anal?)g
I guess it has paid off because after 35 yrs of being in
business, I can say that I have never had a piece comeback
except to be redone again

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:

I'm always overbuilding or over thinking jobs, because I hate to do
things twice. ( can you say anal?)g
I guess it has paid off because after 35 yrs of being in business, I
can say that I have never had a piece comeback except to be redone
again

The fact you have survived 35 years in business is of itself
quite a statement.

Congratulations.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
[...]

Nice work, and it appears to be well thought. Beyond the wood frames,
having everything else come together is an art.. I have dabbled on about 3
small jobs involving upholstery, caning, and rewebing, it's a whole other
set of skills..

I tell my potential customers that I do not compete with furniture stores
offerings or prices.. I offer what the furniture stores cannot, custom
built.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ChairMan" wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

[...]

I once told a customer that I build to last, the last thing I want is to
see you again, unless you want me to build something else. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Leon belched:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

[...]

I've got to meet with a designer and old customer Tuesday to look at a sofa
I built her at least 20 years ago.
She's ready to recover now, but the 4 chairs I built for her in the same
room, she just wants me to rework the cushion cores and add a little down to
the backs.
Sometimes I think I build it too wellg
BTW: There is nothing wrong with the sofa, she just ready for a change

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Leon belched:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Leon.
There is a bit of engineering involved as you well know.
The custom bed took some extra thought because I had to figure in that the
delivery service had to assembly it and not me.
So, i tried to keep it as simple as possible, but included detailed
instructions with the hardware

I tell my potential customers that I do not compete with furniture
stores offerings or prices.. I offer what the furniture stores
cannot, custom built.

They usually just send me a picture of a sofa or chair from another
manufacturer with the length and depth they want and I have to figure out
the rest.
Arm widths and heights, seat depths and heights. boxing width and on and on.
Where as the manufacturer has already worked all these details out, but I'm
suppose to be able to do it cheapershrug
All I can say is thank God for rich people, because otherwise i would be out
of businessg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:31:08 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
I've got to meet with a designer and old customer Tuesday to look at a sofa I built her at least 20 years ago. She's ready to recover now, but the 4 chairs I built for her in the same room, she just wants me to rework the cushion cores and add a little down to the backs. Sometimes I think I build it too wellg BTW: There is nothing wrong with the sofa, she just ready for a change

Mais! After 20 years, I can't imagine why she remembered you.... or your work!

Sonny
Pass me another biere!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/19/2013 7:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In ,
Leon belched:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
[...]

So

Sounds like the airplane display cabinet. I got a designers rendering
of what It "might" look like and it has to be assembled and dissembled
multiple times during the year as different locati9ons around the world.
Like you I had to design with someone else in mind for assembly and
disassembley over and over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet belched:
On 5/19/2013 7:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In
,
Leon belched:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
[...]

Yup, gotta figure the idiot factor into it.
If you look again at the sectional pics, the pic of the bases on the cutting
table shows the picture they sent me from a magazine to the right.
That was all they gave me, except for the overall length they wanted it to
finish

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Sonny belched:
On Sunday, May 19, 2013 7:31:08 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
I've got to meet with a designer and old customer Tuesday to look at
a sofa I built her at least 20 years ago. She's ready to recover
now, but the 4 chairs I built for her in the same room, she just
wants me to rework the cushion cores and add a little down to the
backs. Sometimes I think I build it too wellg BTW: There is
nothing wrong with the sofa, she just ready for a change

Mais! After 20 years, I can't imagine why she remembered you.... or
your work!

Sonny
Pass me another biere!

chuckle