Posted to rec.woodworking
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Pics in ABPW

In ,
Leon belched:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Swingman wrote:
"ChairMan" wrote:
Posted pics of a custom sectional and the last of 3
custom
beds for a client in Aspen Colorado.
The sectional shows various stages of the job, but I
never
took a final picture of the final piece with back
cushions
and kidney pillows
It was all coil spring construction with spring down
seat.
The frame is 5/4 poplar doweled and screwed (yes Leon, I
know I could have used a domino)g
cushion and all down(50/50) back pillows
The King-size bed is upholstered in a gray wool and is
very
contemporary as is the sectional.
They will be picking up the bed on Tuesday here in Dallas
install in Aspen at the end of the month
Thanks for looking

Very well done. A ton of work, not obvious to the
untrained eye,
skillfully executed to the point of making it look simple
and easy,
but elegant. Kudos!

Thanks Karl, as you and Leon know all to well, the customers
always think you should be able to do it cheaper than the
factories.
When the fact is quite the opposite. As far as simple and
easy, quality never is. There is so much more that goes into
furniture than people really understand.
I can't tell you how many times a client/designer has said,
" Can't you just pad it out?" I wish it were that easy.
Thanks again for the kudos

Nice work, and it appears to be well thought. Beyond the wood frames,
having everything else come together is an art.. I have dabbled on
about 3 small jobs involving upholstery, caning, and rewebing, it's a
whole other set of skills..

Thanks, Leon.
There is a bit of engineering involved as you well know.
The custom bed took some extra thought because I had to figure in that the
delivery service had to assembly it and not me.
So, i tried to keep it as simple as possible, but included detailed
instructions with the hardware

I tell my potential customers that I do not compete with furniture
stores offerings or prices.. I offer what the furniture stores
cannot, custom built.

They usually just send me a picture of a sofa or chair from another
manufacturer with the length and depth they want and I have to figure out
the rest.
Arm widths and heights, seat depths and heights. boxing width and on and on.
Where as the manufacturer has already worked all these details out, but I'm
suppose to be able to do it cheapershrug
All I can say is thank God for rich people, because otherwise i would be out
of businessg