Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish?

A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 3, 2013 12:18:41 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:
Try as she might water stains are inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing every couple years?

Not really, as per resanding every few years, however....

Do a one-time good sanding, now, and finish with any good marine finish. Every few years, lighly sand and apply another coat of marine. The subsequent light sandings and recoatings should be a snap, compared to the one-time substantial refinishing.

Maybe, surprise her with a few inexpensive decorative dishes/plates, to use as pot saucers/holders, to help prevent water spillage & spotting.

I've used scrap wood to make pot "plates". Simply square/hexagon, flat, no concave contour, beveled edges to dress them up, a bit. These aren't always quite fitting for elegant decor, though.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 10:18 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.

a piece of scrap granite or glass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine
bead-board and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil,
looks good, problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts
potted plants back there on them in the summer. Try as she might
water stains are inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the
direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of
re-sanding and finishing every couple years? Toronto Canada,
unheated space, very cold in winter, very hot in summer if it makes a
difference.

Epifanes.

Take a look at Jamestown Distributors web site for data then find
a marine chandlery in Toronto to purchase.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 3, 2013 12:18:41 PM UTC-5, FrozenNorth wrote:

Froz, if I may, are you in the woodworking business, in any way, and be near Lake Ontario, near High Park? If so, for either question, email me - cedarsonny at aye oh ell dot com

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 3:16 PM, Sonny wrote:
cedarsonny at aye oh ell dot com

You have mail.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 2:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

I knew it was a mistake to make the ledge so wide. :-)
Scrap wood may work, it is only about 4 1/2 inches wide, hoping for a
more elegant solution, and trying to avoid tipping, our cats like it
back there in the summer too.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 2:43 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 5/3/2013 10:18 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.

a piece of scrap granite or glass.

If I had any yep and more elegant than scrap wood.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 2:56 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"FrozenNorth" wrote:

A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine
bead-board and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil,
looks good, problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts
potted plants back there on them in the summer. Try as she might
water stains are inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the
direct sunlight, is there something else that may work, short of
re-sanding and finishing every couple years? Toronto Canada,
unheated space, very cold in winter, very hot in summer if it makes a
difference.

Epifanes.

Take a look at Jamestown Distributors web site for data then find
a marine chandlery in Toronto to purchase.

Have fun.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look after/maybe I see a few more ideas.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote:

Thanks for that, I'll have a look after/maybe I see a few more
ideas.

When it comes to clear marine finishes, you have Epifanes and stuff
that wishes they could be Epifanes when they grow up.

Pricey, probably $35-$40 US for 750 ml, but worth it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/3/2013 12:33 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/3/2013 2:43 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 5/3/2013 10:18 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:
A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.

a piece of scrap granite or glass.

If I had any yep and more elegant than scrap wood.

a glass place and granite yard toss out hundreds of lbs of this every
day. they'll probably just give you some.
Posted to rec.woodworking

FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/3/2013 2:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

How about a piece of clear plexiglass, with an added lip? Remniscient of
what is commonly used on top of kitchen table tops.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
FrozenNorth wrote:
On 5/3/2013 2:35 PM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

That's what I did and it works fine. I also glued on back and side splashes.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
FrozenNorth wrote:
A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.
--
Froz...

Seems like a rare case where using a good spar varnish indoors might be
a good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 May 2013 13:18:41 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

A couple years ago I redid the interior of our sun-room, pine bead-board
and trim, all finished with several coats of a Cabots Oil, looks good,
problem is the window ledges are wide enough my wife puts potted plants
back there on them in the summer. Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years? Toronto Canada, unheated space, very cold in
winter, very hot in summer if it makes a difference.

How about a piece of glass over the wood, for the months you're using
it as a greenhouse?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 May 2013 13:18:41 -0400, FrozenNorth wrote:

Try as she might water stains are
inevitable. I know Poly is not a good idea in the direct sunlight, is
there something else that may work, short of re-sanding and finishing
every couple years?

I'd try some dewaxed shellac. It's a lot more resistant to water stains
than people think. And if it does need refinished you don't need to
sand. Just wipe on another coat or two.

Mixing it yourself is best, but Zinnsers SealCoat is almost as good.

carrying a cross.