Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The arc -- without math

You may recall that I queried the group about an equation to find the radius of a circle in order to draw an arc for a bit of molding for the buffet I'm building with my son. We elected to drive a couple of screws at the end points, clamping to those a thin strip arched to the center point. I held it at the center point and he drew the arc. A few minutes at the bandsaw and a few more minutes at the oscillating sander -- okay 20 minutes at the sander -- and voila.

We're in the home stretch. On to final sanding and finishing. Pix to come..

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
You may recall that I queried the group about an equation to find the radius of a circle in order to draw an arc for a bit of molding for the buffet I'm building with my son. We elected to drive a couple of screws at the end points, clamping to those a thin strip arched to the center point. I held it at the center point and he drew the arc. A few minutes at the bandsaw and a few more minutes at the oscillating sander -- okay 20 minutes at the sander -- and voila.

We're in the home stretch. On to final sanding and finishing. Pix to come.

Larry

You did it the intuitive way. Good for you.

When I built my Japanese bridge, I knew the width and height at the
center. I made a compass out of a long strip of wood anchored by a
nail into a piece of two by. By trial and error I figured out the
radius (around 14-16 ft), drilled a hole in the strip to hold a pencil
and drew the lines on the pieces of treated 2 x 12 and 2 x8 to make
the sections.

Cutting an arc on a long piece of 2 x 12 with a bandsaw is a lot of
fun when you have no helper.

--
 GW Ross

 In nature, there are no rewards or
 punishments, only consequences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:37:06 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
You did it the intuitive way. Good for you.

And the more you do, the easier it gets, especially with smaller arcs or curves. You develope a knack to freehand them. It pays to have round eyeballs, though, to make perfect arcs/curves. Better still, when it comes to those tricky double "S" curves, it pays to have one eyeball rounded one way, and the other eyeball rounded the other way.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/28/2013 8:09 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
You may recall that I queried the group about an equation to find the radius of a circle in order to draw an arc for a bit of molding for the buffet I'm building with my son. We elected to drive a couple of screws at the end points, clamping to those a thin strip arched to the center point. I held it at the center point and he drew the arc. A few minutes at the bandsaw and a few more minutes at the oscillating sander -- okay 20 minutes at the sander -- and voila.

We're in the home stretch. On to final sanding and finishing. Pix to come.

Larry

In fact that is the idea behind the mathematics of spline functions. It
grows from the way that New England boat builders ages ago used thin
strips of wood (called splines) to make a smooth curve through certain
required points, where the hull's side boards had to meet bulkheads I
will guess.
Bob Wilson

Do the math Steve B[_4_] Metalworking 2 March 2nd 10 08:27 AM
math help stryped[_2_] Metalworking 20 August 2nd 08 03:31 AM
Let's try to do the math Ignoramus5114 Metalworking 6 October 21st 07 07:08 AM
Math help please - parabola Morris Dovey Woodworking 8 July 17th 05 08:59 PM
I need a little bit of math help. Modat22 Metalworking 11 May 4th 05 04:16 PM