Morris Dovey

Default Math help please - parabola

I'm trying to build a circular parabolic dish solar concentrator. So
far I've designed a simple hub to which I'll attach radial ribs. These
ribs will support reflective "petals" and an outer support ring.

I know that the general formula for a parabola is:

(x - h) ^ 2 = 4 * a * (y - k), where

(h,k) are the coordinates of the vertex and
a is the distance from the vertex to the focus and the distance from
the vertex to the directrix (and one-fourth the length of the latus
rectum).

What I need is an algebraic expression representing the distance along
the parabola from the vertex to any point (x,y) on the parabola so I
can lay out the shape of a petal for cutting from flat stock.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

On 17-Jul-2005, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

I'm trying to build a circular parabolic dish solar
concentrator. So
far I've designed a simple hub to which I'll attach radial
ribs. These
ribs will support reflective "petals" and an outer support
ring.

I know that the general formula for a parabola is:

(x - h) ^ 2 = 4 * a * (y - k), where

snip

Hi Morris,

Answer is kinda mathy so I posted a jpg snapshot of the
mathcad screen in abpw

ml

Owen Lawrence

I'm trying to build a circular parabolic dish solar concentrator. So
far I've designed a simple hub to which I'll attach radial ribs. These
ribs will support reflective "petals" and an outer support ring.

I know that the general formula for a parabola is:

(x - h) ^ 2 = 4 * a * (y - k), where

(h,k) are the coordinates of the vertex and
a is the distance from the vertex to the focus and the distance from
the vertex to the directrix (and one-fourth the length of the latus
rectum).

What I need is an algebraic expression representing the distance along
the parabola from the vertex to any point (x,y) on the parabola so I
can lay out the shape of a petal for cutting from flat stock.

I'm not checking my work, but I'll give it a shot. First, let's simplify a
bit by locating your vertex at the origin. Your parabola is then y =
x^2/4a. The formula for arc length can be derived to be

L = int( x1, x2 ) sqrt( 1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where int( x1, x2 ) is the
definite integral from x1 to x2 on your parabola.

dy/dx = x/2a
(dy/dx)^2 = x^2/4a^2

so L = int( x1, x2 ) sqrt( 1 + x^2/4a^2 ) dx
= 1/2a int( x1, x2 ) sqrt( 4a^2 + x^2 ) dx

I looked up the indefinite integral in my CRC math tables to be

int() sqrt( x^2 + c^2) dx = 1/2[ x sqrt( x^2 + c^2 ) + c^2 ln( x + sqrt( x^2
+ c^2 ) ]

In our case c = 4a^2. Since you want your arc length to be from the vertex,
we can let x1 = 0. So our final formula becomes:

L = 1/4a[ x sqrt( x^2 + (2a)^4 ) + (2a)^4 ln( x + sqrt( x^2 + (2a)^4 ) ]

Check the algebra. I haven't had lunch yet so maybe I'm not thinking
clearly.

- Owen -

Morris Dovey

David Merrill (in ogwCe.182504$xm3.89741@attbi_s21) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| snip...
|| What I need is an algebraic expression representing the distance
|| along the parabola from the vertex to any point (x,y) on the
|| parabola so I can lay out the shape of a petal for cutting from
|| flat stock.
|
| http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...2arc+length%22

Dave...

Thanks - I'd done a google search and hadn't found an article that I
could regognize as a solution to my problem (may be a vocabulary
problem on my part) and guessed (correctly) that this would be a good
forum in which to ask.

It's interesting to note that a query to rec.woodworking produced a
usable solution immediately, while the same query to sci.math (where
it's probably more topical) hasn't produced any response at all.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

On 17-Jul-2005, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

Mark...

Thank you - that's *exactly* what I need!

glad to be of help. MathCad does all that symbolically, and
I've got some ancient version of it. Can't imagine what it
does now.

ml
David Merrill

You have probably already noted that there are several forms for expressing
the equation of a parabola, some perhaps more convenient than others for
deriving the associated arc length expression in a compact form for
programming your Shopbot.

You might find these sites helpful for optical effects visualization:
http://www.geocities.com/thesciencef...ola/focus.html
http://www.cut-the-knot.org/ctk/Parabola.shtml
Amateur telescope makers (ATM) are often very interested in parabolic
mirrors as in Newtonian telescopes.

And you probably already know about this site that I stumbled across (DAGS
"solar concentrators"): http://www.redrok.com/main.htm