Default Irish math

I do not get the Irish math sig of Mr Meehan.

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

LB
HeatMan

wrote in message ...
I do not get the Irish math sig of Mr Meehan.

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I had a hard time also until it was explained.

26 counties in Ireland proper and 6 counties in Northern Ireland make one
Country...

Matt

Whats his second wish?

Percival P. Cassidy

I don't think he could count.

Perce

On 02/23/05 01:16 pm Matt tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Whats his second wish?

Ross Mac

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whats his second wish?

He can't remember....hmmm...wonder why....Ross

DaveD

"Raid" wrote in message
Yes the north is free they VOTE!

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:57:37 GMT, HorneTD wrote:

wrote:
I do not get the Irish math sig of Mr Meehan.

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

LB

This Ireland of ours has too long been half free
Six counties lie under John Bulls tyranny.

You don't even want to go to that spot me muckle! They do vote in the
"******* Counties" (the north to you) and the results are accepted so long
as they are acceptable to Ian Paisley and the rest of the Proties!!!!!!!!

Dave D

Mad Mac

Ulster will fight, and Ulster will be right.

No Surrender!

Terry

wrote:
I do not get the Irish math sig of Mr Meehan.

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

LB

This Ireland of ours has too long been half free
Six counties lie under John Bulls tyranny.

So somebody finally asked!
As an ex Brit I had no trouble understanding the first time I saw "Irish
math".
But not wishing to inflame an old and still current controversy, have not
commented, til now.
One slight problem is that citizens of the six 'Northern Ireland' (Ulster)
counties have voted, several times, since 1921, to stay within the British
UK.
To go against that would be rather like telling the voters in say, New
Mexico, that regardless of what they want their territory is going to be
returned to its former owner, Mexico? Or selling Alaska back to the
Russians?
Whether Northern Ireland voters will alter their attitude now that Eire has
demonstrated so dramatically its ability to prosper as a member of the EU
(European Economic Union) is, I guess, unknown.
My connection; well a great grandfather who left Northern Ireland in the
late 1800s and that I lived in Liverpool; which was rudely referred to as
the "Capital of Ireland", it's now a somewhat depressed ex-seaport, because
of the number of Irish of both supposedly 'Christian' stripes who immigrated
there looking for work!
Nowadays Ireland imports seasonal workers, some from this side of the
Atlantic and in recent years has had the fastest rate of growth in the EU.
But it's absolutely amazing when old enemies such as the Germans, Belgians,
French and the British can put several deadly centuries of wars behind them
and cooperate within the EU, that religious groups in Northern Ireland,
headed by hate-mongers on both sides, are still parading and arguing about
"The battle of the Boyne" (1690 AD) or some such nonsense of several hundred
years ago. Ridiculous!
Thankfully I live in a region of North America where such feuds are long
(like 100 years) past and 'cooperation' between denominations within each
community is the order of the day. Noticeable too; some years ago we voted
72% in favour of changing to a non denominational public school system. As a
result today there is an even greater degree of cooperation between all
faiths.