Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for JET cabinet saw owners

El miércoles, 31 de marzo de 1999 05:00:00 UTC-3, Bruce Fleury escribió:
Hi,

I got my Jet cabinet saw (left tilt) last December and really like it.
Only problem I am a bit concerned with is that about half the time the thing
BANGS on startup. Once running it is fine and as I stated , it only makes
this bang on powerup about half the time. The rest of the time it starts
very smoothly. It seems the sound is coming from the torq of the motor at
startup. I have checked the belts and made sure everything is tight and so
on. Has anyone else had this problem and is this something I will just have
to live with. (Still I would buy this saw in a heartbeat) Thanks for
your replies.

Bruce Fleury

Hi there! I do have a Jet cabinet saw (left tilt), and it was doing the same thing at startup, which I thought it was ok because of the 230v motor. But it would make a good deal of vibration when running, at leas more vibration than my Delta 120v. After reading some answers from the forums, I removed the belts it came with, and the banging sound vanished away, so I replaced the v belts for a couple of link belts and now it is running smoother and no banging at startup. My saw was in storage for about 6 years, I think the v belts got a set, since they´re oval-like, the link belts have no memory whatsoever.

Hope this helps You.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/26/2013 12:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

OK. The bang is the lack of resistance/voltage drop to the motor. I
have the Jet too and had the bang 13 years ago and still today. Jet
tried to remedy the situation with different start capacitors and
eventually a new motor. Nothing fixed it. This is normal and most
table saws that have adequate wiring will do this. Norm's did it too on
New Yankee Workshop, the Unisaw.