Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Office Desk Progress and Scientific SAG testing

I completed the major portion of the upper desk cabinet yesterday. This
morning my wife and I brought the monster into the house and placed it
on the desk. we did this at this stage mostly to insure that the unit
would actually negotiate the double doors entering into the office. I
wanted to do this before proceeding and finding out it just would not
fit. ;~)

The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails
that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown below
is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no noticeable
future sag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Below is the test fit on top of the desk. I still have quite a bit to
do, add doors, cabinet backs, varnish on the outer surface of the front
and back face frame, add feet to secure the unit to the desk top, a
cubby unit to house 9 in/out drawers in the middle, the center arch
trim to match the doors, and the top trim.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

The plans.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails
that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown below
is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no noticeable
future sag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I just can't help myself with an opening like this one.

Is that the "Leon Fat Ass Sag Test"? G,D&R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 11:04 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails
that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown
below is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no
noticeable future sag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I just can't help myself with an opening like this one.

Is that the "Leon Fat Ass Sag Test"? G,D&R

Yeah! the LFAST. Should be inducted in to the FIG!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 11:04 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails
that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown
below is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no
noticeable future sag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I just can't help myself with an opening like this one.

Is that the "Leon Fat Ass Sag Test"? G,D&R

I guess I should have captioned that picture with

"Does this make my butt look big?" LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 11:51 AM, Leon wrote:

I believe that there should be no noticeable future sag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

Judging by the picture, your pants seem to fit just fine. As for the
future, we all sag eventually.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote
The design strongly relies on the strength of the 4, 3 1/2" oak rails
that span the 90+ inches. The method used to test for SAG shown
below is tried and true for me. I believe that there should be no
noticeable future sag.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...ream/lightbox/

I just can't help myself with an opening like this one.

Is that the "Leon Fat Ass Sag Test"? G,D&R

The sag ain't in the span ... ;‚¬)

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

In the interest of photographic interest you should have let your wife
do the sag test. ;)

--
 GW Ross

 A Canadian is an unarmed American
 with health insurance

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 3:18 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

I'll mention that to her. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/8/2013 3:18 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

NO WAY!!! My butt is bigger than his and will not withstand the comments
made here

Just ask Swingman.

Kim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well sir, I am going to throw out the old "sagulator" program.

I have a new benchmark.

I wasn't ready for that pic, but just about knocked my laptop off my
lap I was laughing so hard!

Desk looks great, Leon. And we know for sure it will hold up a couple
of machines, right? ;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:
Well sir, I am going to throw out the old "sagulator" program.

I have a new benchmark.

I wasn't ready for that pic, but just about knocked my laptop off my
lap I was laughing so hard!

Desk looks great, Leon. And we know for sure it will hold up a couple
of machines, right? ;^)

Robert

Glad to have put a smile on your face :-).

desk project progress Leon[_5_] Woodworking 0 March 5th 13 01:39 AM
Office Desk Leon[_5_] Woodworking 22 February 3rd 13 02:22 PM
New office desk progress Leon[_7_] Woodworking 16 January 31st 13 02:26 AM
New office desk progress Leon[_5_] Woodworking 20 January 26th 13 08:08 PM
Office Desk Michael Q Woodworking 7 July 29th 06 08:23 PM