Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF 12" SCMS

The recent discussion about the Harbor Freight double bevel SCMS made me
go take a look at it. I've got a couple of questions I hope someone here
can answer for me.

The website specifies a part number of 69684. The ad for the sidewalk
sale gives two numbers, 69684 and 98194. Is one of these the older
model? If so, which one?

I went to HF and looked at one this morning. Maximum depth from back of
slide to front of handle is about 44". I've got a small shop. If I
mount the saw on a 30" cabinet, the handle will stick out into space over
a foot. As clumsy as I am that's an accident waiting to happen. I
couldn't measure the front to back depth with the table turned to 45
degrees because there wasn't enough space around it at the store. Would
someone who has one please let me know what that measurement is?

Thanks in advance.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 8 Mar 2013 00:43:17 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

The website specifies a part number of 69684. The ad for the sidewalk
sale gives two numbers, 69684 and 98194. Is one of these the older
model? If so, which one?

98194 is the older, single bevel model:
http://www.usd.edu/research/research.../Miter-Saw.pdf

Dual bevel 69684:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69684.pdf

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The website specifies a part number of 69684. The ad for the sidewalk
sale gives two numbers, 69684 and 98194. Is one of these the older
model? If so, which one?

98194 is the older, single bevel model:
http://www.usd.edu/research/research.../Miter-Saw.pdf

Dual bevel 69684:
http://manuals.harborfreight.com/man...9999/69684.pdf

Walt, Larry is right on the ages.

I have a 69684 and it measures under 40" front to back. I'm not
working to 64ths of an inch, so I'm quite happy with it. To increase
my precision with it, I'm entertaining the idea of using a smaller
diameter spring on it. That thing's a -bear- to pivot down into a
piece of wood. I'm happy to have saved $300-400 on that purchase. If
I had the choice between the HF and a Bosch as a gift, I'd surely
choose the Bosch, but I have to pinch pennies. Be sure to break it in
slowly. Run it for several minutes before you cut anything to let the
brushes seat. (True for all HF motors.)

I'm also happy with my purchase of a Makita plunge saw vs a Festool.
The more I use it, the more I like it & the more uses I find for it.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.