Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Viewing pics

wrote:

Recently, I was unable to view some pics linked to hosting sites on
the rec. I personally like everyone that take the time to take a
picture, edit it, and post it to be seen by all possible so that we
can learn together, and hosting sites seem much more reliable than
ABP.

I went with Photobucket as it was recommended by another site that
is
pic heavy. Weighed carefully on the options, and PB and Picasa seem
to spend all their time copying on anothers features. The deciding
factor was that Picasa/Google limits the size of pics to 800X800
which
is fine for net viewing, but not for larger pics. Larger pic
capability is available when you join Google+, but I am not much of
joiner to begin with, and didn't want to be strong armed into
joining
anything. In reading Picasa's terms and conditions, I found them to
be more restrictive than PB's, so for now anyway, it is PB.

However, I found that there was a snit between Google and
Photobucket
that was resolved in court last Fall. Apparently, Google was sued
by
Photobucket on behalf of their paying clients for allowing
copyrighted
work to be posted in Newsgroups (that's us) and on Google+ groups
without permission. A few million dollars later and some site
tweaking, and all is fine again between the big kids.

However, that left us Firefox users with a problem. (Forget it, no
way I am changing to Chrome.) Not wanting to get their tail caught
in
the fight, Mozilla ran for the hills and took out the security
exception for Photobucket in their latest release, and it was wiped
out in the latest update of FF that I installed.

After all the ballyhoo about who did what, Google remains pointing
the
finger at PB, and vice versa. But as I said, it is Mozilla. They
haven't figured that out on the Mozilla forum yet, and since they
are
so busy screaching at each other I thought I would post the fix here
as it might not only apply to Firefox, but to any other browser that
might be having problems looking at pics where a similar fix could
be
applicable.

To repair this in Firefox is actually so easy that I am surprised
the
guys on the Mozilla forum don't post it. As a sidebar though, it
took
me a month to figure out since FF selectively removed that
exception...

Open Firefox. A the tool bar, click on Tools. Scroll down and
click
on Options. This will open another window. Click on Security.
Then
click on the "Exceptions" button. There will be a line that opens
up
that asks for the exact address of the site to be listed as an
exception. Paste this

s1300.beta.photobucket.com

into that line. The click "Allow" and it will insert it into the
allowed sites. Click OK. Done.

This fixed me right up. It has helped out a few others, so I
thought
I would post it here as well.

I run Firefox. Didn't know I had a problem, but then I try to avoid
Google
like a plague except as a search engine.

Have no problems posting or reading jpeg files on ABPW.

What am I missing?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 10:02*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I run Firefox. Didn't know I had a problem, but then I try to avoid
Google
like a plague except as a search engine.

Have no problems posting or reading jpeg files on ABPW.

What am I missing?

Lew

Need to read the first post. It is about the relationship of some
versions of FF with Photobucket.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I run Firefox. Didn't know I had a problem, but then I try to avoid
Google
like a plague except as a search engine.

Have no problems posting or reading jpeg files on ABPW.

What am I missing?

Need to read the first post. It is about the relationship of some
versions of FF with Photobucket.
I thought I had read it, but must have missed what it's all about.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Looks like maybe I don't have a problem in the first place except
maybe me.

Lew