Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tape

What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired, and I
just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was really tough,
and stayed soft a while.

I need to tape a hose onto a fitting on a vacuum. Already have screws and
hose clamp, but have to seal some holes because hose had to be split to fit
over fitting.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what is the
"proper" name for asking a parts man?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote:

What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired,
and I just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was
really tough, and stayed soft a while.

I need to tape a hose onto a fitting on a vacuum. Already have
screws and hose clamp, but have to seal some holes because hose had
to be split to fit over fitting.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what
is the "proper" name for asking a parts man?

Google "gaffers tape" and stand back.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message ...

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what is the
"proper" name for asking a parts man?
Ask for gaffers tape at home depot, staples, or, better yet, Google.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:44:24 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

I suggest a better quality, heavy duty duct tape.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,110,43466
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:44:24 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

To the above, NADA.

Below is what I wrote.

Google "gaffers tape" and stand back.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

Whatever cheap duct tape I have on hand.

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired,
and I just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was
really tough, and stayed soft a while.

Never used Gorilla tape, so no comment on it or how it compares to Gaffer's
tape, but you'd know that best, since you've used it. I do know this much,
when Gaffer's tape is appropriate, duct tape is not a suitable alternative.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what
is the "proper" name for asking a parts man?

No need for an alternative Steve - google Gaffer's tape and you'll find it
close to home. Walmart carries it, among other common retailers.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote the following on 3/3/2013 10:36 PM (ET):
What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired, and I
just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was really tough,
and stayed soft a while.

I need to tape a hose onto a fitting on a vacuum. Already have screws and
hose clamp, but have to seal some holes because hose had to be split to fit
over fitting.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what is the
"proper" name for asking a parts man?

Steve

Home Depot sells a 2" x 60 yard roll of gaffers tape for $24.97.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/clxwfmy

I don't find a listing in Lowes.

Walmarts has Gaffer Tape.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/czl6t3e

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:

What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

Whatever cheap duct tape I have on hand.

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired,
and I just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was
really tough, and stayed soft a while.

Never used Gorilla tape, so no comment on it or how it compares to
Gaffer's tape, but you'd know that best, since you've used it. I do know
this much, when Gaffer's tape is appropriate, duct tape is not a suitable
alternative.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what
is the "proper" name for asking a parts man?

No need for an alternative Steve - google Gaffer's tape and you'll find it
close to home. Walmart carries it, among other common retailers.

--

-Mike-

I had to tape a freezer cord to the floor a few years ago. Used gaffer's
tape, and walked on it for years. When I finally did pull it up, it was
just like I had recently put it down.

I used some Gorilla tape for something recently. I was taken with how it
sticks to itself, and to whatever it is applied to, and stayed supple.
Equivalent duct tape would have started to dry out and flake.

I have to have this vacuum stay together all day long, so this Gorilla tape
application will be a good test.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/13 10:33 AM, willshak wrote:
Steve B wrote the following on 3/3/2013 10:36 PM (ET):
What kind of tape do you use mostly in duct tape applications?

I'm out of gaffer's tape, only had a six year supply when I retired,
and I just used the last. Bought some Gorilla tape once, and it was
really tough, and stayed soft a while.

I need to tape a hose onto a fitting on a vacuum. Already have screws
and hose clamp, but have to seal some holes because hose had to be
split to fit over fitting.

Is there any equivalent to gaffer's tape, and where it is sold, what
is the "proper" name for asking a parts man?

Steve

Home Depot sells a 2" x 60 yard roll of gaffers tape for $24.97.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/clxwfmy

I don't find a listing in Lowes.

Walmarts has Gaffer Tape.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/czl6t3e

Not all gaff tape are equal.
If you want real gaff tape, do yourself a favor and get it at
professional audio/video/lighting supplier.
Expensive doesn't always equal quality.

http://goo.gl/wIMHh

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote

Not all gaff tape are equal.
If you want real gaff tape, do yourself a favor and get it at professional
audio/video/lighting supplier.
Expensive doesn't always equal quality.

http://goo.gl/wIMHh

--

-MIKE-

I had to ask about it, because I have never bought a roll in my life. It
has always been supplied from work.

Steve