Posted to rec.woodworking

Default circular saws and Skilsaw

I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the ghost
and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of
his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board,
clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound
up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of
square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything.
It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the
foot to blade.
Reminds me of an old AMC car, where the body and chassis
were never quite in line with each other and the whole mess went down the
road like a dog with its ass end off to one side.

I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much
guarantees I never will.

basilisk (done bitching about cheap tools)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 8:20 AM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

SKIL does make a good worm drive saw but IMHO discounting that saw SKIL
is an entery lever tool.

For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon wrote:

[...]

I do have a need for a track saw.

I am doing a good bit of volunteer work for an equine assisted therapy
barn, and some additional portability in my tools would make the work
faster and better.
Still pondering the wisdom of dropping dollars to augment volunteer work,
and how much I would use it for other stuff.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 10:22 AM, basilisk wrote:
I am doing a good bit of volunteer work for an equine assisted therapy
barn, and some additional portability in my tools would make the work
faster and better.
Still pondering the wisdom of dropping dollars to augment volunteer work,
and how much I would use it for other stuff.

If that work entails much sheetgoods work, a plunge track saw may be
something to think about. Being "cost effective", generally a function
of use/time, is another matter.

Also to consider, since portability is a factor in your decision, is
security ... being expensive makes them targets.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

If doing volunteer work, all the more reason to get the track saw. Make
it easier on yourself, these thing are a breeze to operate and can
replace a table saw for many operations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 14:23:32 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Virtually all "consumer" level saws, from any manufacturer, are dodgy
at best. You only get what you pay for (if you are lucky). The same
companies usually also make "trade" and "professional" level tools.

You need to know what to look for - and lowest price is NOT it!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Had a laugh at that also ... you gotta love watching your drug dealer
hooking another.

(Financial) misery loves company.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:38:43 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Had a laugh at that also ... you gotta love watching your drug dealer
hooking another.

It's even funnier watching the drug dealer sitting in the wings just
waiting to pounce.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:30:27 AM UTC-6, Upscale wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool track saw? ;~) Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Festool? Phooyie! Try this one, it's only $149.88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI...em4cf9a3 bfed

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 10:41 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:30:27 AM UTC-6, Upscale wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool track saw? ;~) Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Festool? Phooyie! Try this one, it's only $149.88

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI...em4cf9a3 bfed

Sonny

LOL...You've got to wonder when the handle/knob is almost as big as the
blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Yeah! Who'da thunk it? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festering Tools was circular saws and Skilsaw

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Never, ever underestimate the power of a Craigslist search.

Looky, looky!

$450 for what appears to be a like new Festool TS55 with the rail and
systainer. Prefers pickup but will ship.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3650665254.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Correction: Festering Tools was circular saws and Skilsaw

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Never, ever underestimate the power of a Craigslist search.

Looky, looky!

Oops, it's $425, not $450. Anyone interested, go for it. I have no
intention (actually, with SWMBO watching, I don't have the guts) of
going for it. Sweet deal though!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3650665254.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 17:17:26 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Never, ever underestimate the power of a Craigslist search.

Looky, looky!

Oops, it's $425, not $450. Anyone interested, go for it. I have no
intention (actually, with SWMBO watching, I don't have the guts) of
going for it. Sweet deal though!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3650665254.html

I would be sorely tempted, but that joyous season is upon us, I had a good
year last year(for which I am grateful), having to save all the
dead presidents I can, to fork over on 4/15.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote

SKIL does make a good worm drive saw but IMHO discounting that saw SKIL is
an entery lever tool.

We dug up an OLD Skil circular saw with some inheritance stuff. Not a worm
drive, but shaped like any old other saw. Aluminum ergo shaped body, kinda
California art du jour shape of an aluminum race car. Don't know how it
works, frayed cord, dust caked on it. Maybe one day I'll play with it and
see if it runs. Asked a pawn guy if it was anything special, and he said
they make good boat anchor unless you have too many rocks.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 8:49 am, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Skil was the big dog on the block when I was framing back in the 70s.
All the guys from the west coast that passed through here had them.

We all learned on "sidewinders", so we used circular saws. I have the
first Milwaukee I ever owned, and it has had too many triggers,
brushes, cords and sets of bearings installed to rebuild it to count.

It is so expensive to rebuild one now (bearings, brushes and a cord)
that it makes more sense to just buy a new one. And with the poor
quality of today's tools if they are used well they seem to stay
together long enough to get your money's worth, but it best to trash
it if anything goes wrong with it. Nothing there worth rebuilding.

A couple of years ago Karl showed me his Festool track saw. I was
hugely impressed. He even made a doodad to make it better and more
efficient for the guy that works alone. The cuts it made would rival
most table saws.

Came back home and went to Woodcraft thinking I would buy one.

WTF..... a grand? A thousand bucks for that setup? I almost
fainted. BUT.... the sales guy told me, it virtually replaces a table
saw! (Don't you just love old farts that have no frickin' clue what
tools do that work in a tool store? I should have asked him where you
attached the tenon jig or the dado set.) I was so surprised at the
price that didn't even make a nasty remark to that bonehead.

I could see the track saw if I was making store fixtures on site, or
had a need to have a saw that cut long lengths perfectly straight when
job conditions preclude a table saw. If I built a lot of cabinets, I
would buy that over a table saw. But for occasional use, it is way
out of range. And with the latest bunch of those saws, the internet
woodworking community doesn't seem to feel they are built as well as
the old systems.

If I get the bid on a remodel I just put together, I will have a small
set of cabinets to build and finish as part of the overall work. I
was trying to justify the price of the Festool track saw, so I went
down to see it again to see if I would catch "green fever". They are
now a squirt over that one grand number with all the stuff I want to
go with it. (Oh yeah.... add $83 in tax, too...).

I contacted a semi retired buddy of mine that is always looking for a
way to put his Jet table saw to work. Instead of buying a track saw,
I am now going to smoke a brisket and buy the beer for both of us
after we take down the sheet goods.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 1:31 PM, wrote:
[...]

Time for the pusher to strike again.... ;~) Oh yeah you have to get
the vac too. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Yet the older US made worm drive Skilsaw HD77 is one of the best saws
ever made, and they can still be found in pawn shops, garage sales and
CraigsList.

Mine, USA made, is only about 20 years old and like new, but damn you
gotta be helluva man to hoist that thing all day ... too much of a saw
for most of the jockey sized framers these days.

If you appreciate such things, there is nothing that will get your
respect more than working with an old time framer who uses a '77,
particularly those old union guys. Watched one, working for me a few
years back, shave a continuous and dead on 1/4" strip off the height a
20' beam using a '77, with no pencil mark, just using a finger as a
guide, AND at a fast walk!

That said, and last I heard, the new ones are now made in China, but are
still pretty rugged according to some of my carpenter subs ... whether
they will last as long as the old US made model remains to be seen.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 09:07:00 -0600, Swingman wrote:

[...]

We have a number of 77's at work that are used to trim sharp ended lumber
ahead of high speed planers, to prevent lapping and hang ups, this is
heavy duty work and they hold up to it(a straight drive saw won't last a
day)

Mine, USA made, is only about 20 years old and like new, but damn you
gotta be helluva man to hoist that thing all day ... too much of a saw
for most of the jockey sized framers these days.

My arthritic shoulders cringe at the thought

If you appreciate such things, there is nothing that will get your
respect more than working with an old time framer who uses a '77,
particularly those old union guys. Watched one, working for me a few
years back, shave a continuous and dead on 1/4" strip off the height a
20' beam using a '77, with no pencil mark, just using a finger as a
guide, AND at a fast walk!

In the 70's, I had the oppurtunity to work with a builder of that skill
set, worked as part of a 3 man crew building from ground up, foundation,
framing, roofing, siding, sheetrock, trim etc. It was an education by
people that knew the business, no such path to building skills exist this
day and time.

Around here in the 70's all the framers kept the guard wedged up on the
saws, it was considered a nuisance not to be tolerated.

That said, and last I heard, the new ones are now made in China, but are
still pretty rugged according to some of my carpenter subs ... whether
they will last as long as the old US made model remains to be seen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2013 10:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

In the 70's, I had the oppurtunity to work with a builder of that skill
set, worked as part of a 3 man crew building from ground up, foundation,
framing, roofing, siding, sheetrock, trim etc. It was an education by
people that knew the business

no such path to building skills exist this day and time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Well said, and the absolute, and IMO sad, truth.

Then again, I suppose it is to be expected ...

In my younger days I had the pleasure of working with some horseman who
came from an era when horses were still the major means of
transportation and an everyday experience for most of the population.

Those guys died knowing more about horses and horsemanship than 100% of
the current crop of "horseman" in the last 50 years.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 10:27:06 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 3/2/2013 10:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

In the 70's, I had the oppurtunity to work with a builder of that skill
set, worked as part of a 3 man crew building from ground up, foundation,
framing, roofing, siding, sheetrock, trim etc. It was an education by
people that knew the business

no such path to building skills exist this day and time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Well said, and the absolute, and IMO sad, truth.

Then again, I suppose it is to be expected ...

In my younger days I had the pleasure of working with some horseman who
came from an era when horses were still the major means of
transportation and an everyday experience for most of the population.

Those guys died knowing more about horses and horsemanship than 100% of
the current crop of "horseman" in the last 50 years.

No doubt.

I remember the last working horses(almost horses) in the cummunity
I grew up in, a matched pair of Belgian cross mules used to skid logs.
The work they could turn out in a day was impressive.

For the most part the old timers were glad to be rid of the beast,
and wouldn't even considered owning another horse.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 13:41:50 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

Lots of work horses still earning their keep around these parts -
Old Order and Amish farmers.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/2/2013 8:20 AM, basilisk wrote:

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of
his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board,
clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound
up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of
square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything.
It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the
foot to blade.

I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much
guarantees I never will.

It generally gets good reviews--wonder if check w/ Skil they'd back it
up. It is, however, clearly priced at an entry-level price point.

As Leon says, the Skil 77 (mag case or not) is (or at least always has
been; I've not used one built since the late '70s or earlier) the top
dog amongst framers particularly on west coast where they're really
partial to worm drives. Mine is still going after about 50 years of
reasonable use; for some 20 it was used very heavily but not so much
over last 15-20 altho got a good workout during the barn restore for a
while when first came back to farm...

Skil did, however, other than the 77 for a number of years try to hit
the consumer market rather than upper level HO/pro so they weren't
building much other than it that was of much account. So, all to say
not sure whether it's really in general or just a bum particular item...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote

As Leon says, the Skil 77 (mag case or not) is (or at least always has
been; I've not used one built since the late '70s or earlier) the top dog
amongst framers particularly on west coast where they're really partial to
worm drives. Mine is still going after about 50 years of reasonable use;
for some 20 it was used very heavily but not so much over last 15-20 altho
got a good workout during the barn restore for a while when first came
back to farm...

The one thing I like best on the 77 is when you are cutting a two by, you
tilt the board forward, and set the saw in the right place to start. You
then hit the start, and (if you have the protector pegged), the vibration
takes the blade right into the workplace, and the weight of the saw
practically takes it through the piece of wood with very little effort of
pushing. All day long.

I use mine a lot for field fitting ornamental metal. I put a metal cutting
blade on it, and can cut tubing just like a two by, even at angles, and
after a while, get it pretty close. Good for demo, too.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the
ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Somehow, replacing the brushes doesn't seem like a "repair" to me.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:35:53 -0500, dadiOH wrote:

basilisk wrote:
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the
ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Somehow, replacing the brushes doesn't seem like a "repair" to me.

You're right isn't much of a repair, but it is old an tired and I don't
want to deny myself the oppurtunity to upgrade

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
basilisk wrote:
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the
ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Somehow, replacing the brushes doesn't seem like a "repair" to me.

--

dadiOH

Line up ten young whippersnappers, and I'd bet no more than three could do
it in less than an hour.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost
and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the
ghost
and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use
of
his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap.

Years ago Bosch bought Skil in order to get one thing, the "77".

The rest of the product line was strictly entry level junk and was
marketed to the low end consumer market.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the
ghost and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

On the other hand, a set of brushes shouldn't cost more than a couple of
bucks.

Even if you get a new saw, the two-dollar investment will enable you to have
a spare...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
basilisk wrote:
[...]

I'm not familiar with that particular saw model, but I've straightened up
several old cheap saws of similar construction by clamping them down to
a work bench, sticking a prybar or board through the handle, and prying
at the appropriate angle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 08:20:35 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

[...]

Silly person. Simply drop it on the concrete on its OTHER side to
square it up. That's likely how it got OOS in the first place.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

hmmm,

How far should I drop it, I have access to a man lift that goes up to 84
feet, but if needed I can probably pitch it 12 feet or so up

Nah, I'll give it back to my son, say thanks, and point out its
shortcomings.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Oh, please! Use your Ford hammah to finesse it into alignment for him
before you give it back, at least.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I still have my dad's old Skil saw all aluminum body. Only a 6.5"
blade but it's got more power then a lot of new saws. I'm guessing
it's at leaar 50 years old. I won't be parting with it. But I do
have TS55 when needed.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote in message

[...]

================================================== ================================
I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then but I
have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the sole purpose of
cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks. Using an abrasive wheel, I cut many
of these. It did some serious work. I don't know what those things were made
of but it was the hardest to cut metal I ever got ahold of. A torch wouldn't
touch it. I still have the saw. It works fine, bearings in good shape and
cuts along a strait edge just fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 19:54:54 -0800, "CW" wrote:

.. .

================================================= =================================
I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then but I
have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the sole purpose of
cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks. Using an abrasive wheel, I cut many
of these. It did some serious work. I don't know what those things were made
of but it was the hardest to cut metal I ever got ahold of. A torch wouldn't
touch it. I still have the saw. It works fine, bearings in good shape and
cuts along a strait edge just fine.

Their worm gear saws were VERY good - most of their products 30 years
ago were pretty good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then
but I have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the
sole purpose of cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks.

One has to ask... why? Tubbing it out for fatter tracks? For that
muscle-tank look?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

CW wrote:

I don't know if I just got lucky or they were made better back then
but I have a Skillsaw, a sidewinder, that I bought in 1983 for the
sole purpose of cutting rear fenders on M1 Abrams tanks.

One has to ask... why? Tubbing it out for fatter tracks? For that
muscle-tank look?
Google a picture of an M1. Notice how the rear fender is cut out so you can
see the sprocket?
The first ones (80s) didn't have that cut out, it covered most of the
sprocket. Mud would build up between the fender and sprocket and it would
blow the fender off. We ran a couple of tanks with modified fenders as a
test and then sent it in as a suggested fix. These tanks were very new at
the time and they were still working the bugs out.

3 1/2" circular saws Gramp's shop Woodworking 4 February 12th 12 08:24 PM
Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
Circular Saws mcp6453[_2_] Woodworking 5 September 8th 08 03:23 AM
Skilsaw brand saws [email protected] Woodworking 8 March 13th 08 09:01 PM
Battery circular saws PoP UK diy 23 February 19th 04 10:03 PM