Posted to rec.woodworking

Default circular saws and Skilsaw

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 14:23:32 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/2/2013 10:22 AM, basilisk wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 3/2/2013 8:20 AM, basilisk wrote:
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the ghost
and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of
his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board,
clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound
up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of
square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything.
It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the
foot to blade.
Reminds me of an old AMC car, where the body and chassis
were never quite in line with each other and the whole mess went down the
road like a dog with its ass end off to one side.

I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much
guarantees I never will.

basilisk (done bitching about cheap tools)

SKIL does make a good worm drive saw but IMHO discounting that saw SKIL
is an entery lever tool.

For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

I do have a need for a track saw.

I am doing a good bit of volunteer work for an equine assisted therapy
barn, and some additional portability in my tools would make the work
faster and better.
Still pondering the wisdom of dropping dollars to augment volunteer work,
and how much I would use it for other stuff.

basilisk

If doing volunteer work, all the more reason to get the track saw. Make
it easier on yourself, these thing are a breeze to operate and can
replace a table saw for many operations.

Virtually all "consumer" level saws, from any manufacturer, are dodgy
at best. You only get what you pay for (if you are lucky). The same
companies usually also make "trade" and "professional" level tools.

You need to know what to look for - and lowest price is NOT it!!!!