Posted to rec.woodworking

Default circular saws and Skilsaw

basilisk wrote the following on 3/2/2013 9:20 AM (ET):
I have a Hitachie circular saw, it was a good saw for what it cost and
lasted several years of hard use, but the brushes have give up the ghost
and due to its age, I'll replace it rather than repair it.

Faced with a job away from home, my son generously offered the use of
his Skilsaw HD5687, what a piece of crap. I needed to rip a long board,
clamped a straight edge to it for a guide, began the cut and the saw bound
up within a foot. On further inspection the saw foot is 1/8 inch out of
square with the saw blade, making it useless for practically everything.
It is all riveted together with no way to adjust the alignment of the
foot to blade.
Reminds me of an old AMC car, where the body and chassis
were never quite in line with each other and the whole mess went down the
road like a dog with its ass end off to one side.

I have never owned any "Skilsaw brand tools" and this pretty much
guarantees I never will.

basilisk (done bitching about cheap tools)

Not reading all the responses following yours.
Changing the brushes is easier than any other repairs to an electric motor.
I've done it more than once, the last time for my central vacuum cleaner
motor.
The brushes are cheap. Just take one of the brushes to an electrical
repair store to get the same sizes.
You liked the Hitachi circular saw and not the replacement one, Why buy
another when the repair is cheap and easy to replace?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:37:43 -0500, willshak
You liked the Hitachi circular saw and not the replacement one, Why buy
another when the repair is cheap and easy to replace?

He's looking for an excuse to buy some latest and greatest new
technology.

It doesn't have to be a good reason, just any reason that he can use
as motivation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Correction: Festering Tools was circular saws and Skilsaw

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 17:17:26 -0600, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 3/2/2013 10:30 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 08:49:29 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
For a view at the other end of the spectrum, may I recomend a Festool
track saw? ;~)

Who would of guessed that you'd suggest a Festool?

Never, ever underestimate the power of a Craigslist search.

Looky, looky!

Oops, it's $425, not $450. Anyone interested, go for it. I have no
intention (actually, with SWMBO watching, I don't have the guts) of
going for it. Sweet deal though!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/3650665254.html

I would be sorely tempted, but that joyous season is upon us, I had a good
year last year(for which I am grateful), having to save all the
dead presidents I can, to fork over on 4/15.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/3/2013 11:49 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 03 Mar 2013 14:37:43 -0500, willshak
You liked the Hitachi circular saw and not the replacement one, Why buy
another when the repair is cheap and easy to replace?

He's looking for an excuse to buy some latest and greatest new
technology.

It doesn't have to be a good reason, just any reason that he can use
as motivation.

Obviously a young pup or one who's not refined his sense of self.

At my age, me and my peers, will ridicule the use of the word "Need"

We just say, we WANT something and then go buy it. Used to be I had to
justify more expensive tool purchases to SWMBO. Now the long-suffering
light of my life acts as a scout (or maybe that should be tout) and bird
dogs many of my purchases of tools that are, as yet, unneeded but still
wantedg

3 1/2" circular saws Gramp's shop Woodworking 4 February 12th 12 08:24 PM
Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
Circular Saws mcp6453[_2_] Woodworking 5 September 8th 08 03:23 AM
Skilsaw brand saws [email protected] Woodworking 8 March 13th 08 09:01 PM
Battery circular saws PoP UK diy 23 February 19th 04 10:03 PM