Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Gloat

Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2013 9:32 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Gloats like this tend to make up for "scrots" like Peachtree, eh?g

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nicely done, Larry. If I had a job at hand that I could use it for, I
might drop the $500.

Now I am looking for a good trim nailer to replace one that just
died. It was about 15 years old and only had a hundred thousand plus
or so nails through it (so very low mileage - not a SPOT on my other
guns) and apparently the internal piston bumper just go old and soft
and gave way.

But if I had an excuse to buy a Domino machine, I would buy it and get
Leon to show me his many tips and tricks. He makes it look fun and
creative, plus the stuff he turns out with it is truly unique.

I NEVER see them used, though.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:14:55 -0800 (PST), "
But if I had an excuse to buy a Domino machine, I would buy it and get
Leon to show me his many tips and tricks. He makes it look fun and
creative, plus the stuff he turns out with it is truly unique.

Then you should consider being a little proactive. Many tool dealers
run Festool days and/or classes where you can go in and actually use
your desired tool, such as a Domino.

Once you're able to experience how truly easy it is to use the Domino,
it opens your mind to all sorts of possibilities.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. *I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this morning. *Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. *Ask and ye shall receive!

I'm sure you'll really be happy with it. It's completely taken over
much of my joinery. Since I've gotten my Domino I've used my mortising
machine only for cutting square holes in breadboard ends, and I
haven't used my table saw tenoning jig at all. I'm not all that
innovative, but I have also used the Domino to cut slots for "buttons"
to hold down table tops.

Let us know how you're doing with it.

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 21, 11:28*pm, Dave wrote:

Then you should consider being a little proactive.

Hmmm.... strongly considering telling you exactly what to do.

If I wanted a damn Domino I would buy one. As a contractor, I don't
need to buy a $1000 tool to build a hobby around, nor do I need it to
open my mind to the possibilities found when using it.

Proactive my ass.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 22:15:39 -0800 (PST), "
Leon to show me his many tips and tricks. He makes it look fun and
creative, plus the stuff he turns out with it is truly unique.

If I wanted a damn Domino I would buy one. As a contractor, I don't
need to buy a $1000 tool to build a hobby around, nor do I need it to
open my mind to the possibilities found when using it.

Proactive my ass.

My message wasn't an attack or criticism in any way. But, that's how
you want to take it so GFY.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino.
I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and
the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response
this morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and
my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall
receive!

Good score Larry! You are now the proud owner of the coveted "You Suck"
award.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message

Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've seen
several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price
on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this
morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino
was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Larry

Good deal! CL rocks for good deals if you are patient!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2013 10:32 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Larry

You SUCK!! :-)

Congratulations...

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
Some of you may recall that I've been coveting a Festool Domino. I've
seen several on eBay go for nearly the price of a new one and the asking
price on CL has been around $800.

So, last night I posted a WTB ad on my local CL and had a response this
morning. Just got back from the seller (100 miles each way) and my Domino
was ... $450 plus a quarter tank of gas. Ask and ye shall receive!

Larry

I have found many good deals on CL. You find things before people put them
out for sale. Many don't know what the item is worth. And if it's a deal,
unless you're the first one there, you never see it anyway. Got a honking 3
hp electric motor for my cement mixer for $20. Free clean 55 gal barrels,
firewood. Stuff like that.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 22, 2013 1:15:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:

If I wanted a damn Domino I would buy one. As a contractor, I don't
need to buy a $1000 tool to build a hobby around, nor do I need it to
open my mind to the possibilities found when using it.

Proactive my ass.

Lol. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Plus, the discussion in question is about a $450 tool. Why so angry? You're never too old to try something new...just too close-minded.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2013 10:48 AM, JayPique wrote:
On Friday, February 22, 2013 1:15:39 AM UTC-5, wrote:

If I wanted a damn Domino I would buy one. As a contractor, I don't
need to buy a $1000 tool to build a hobby around, nor do I need it to
open my mind to the possibilities found when using it.

Proactive my ass.

Lol. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Plus, the discussion in question is about a $450 tool. Why so angry? You're never too old to try something new...just too close-minded.

Bull**** assumptions to add fuel to the fire?

There can be no argument that Dave's first sentence was irrelevant to
the point Robert was making; and even totally unnecessary to the point
Dave himself was trying to make.

Had that one sentence, with seeming condescension magnified by an
unfortunate choice of adverb, been left out it would have been end of story.

Try it ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:55:10 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

reactionary drivel snipped

Try what?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:55:10 -0600, Swingman wrote:
There can be no argument that Dave's first sentence was irrelevant to
the point Robert was making; and even totally unnecessary to the point
Dave himself was trying to make.

You maybe right, I'm not going to go back and reread what I wrote to
see where I ****ed him off. But, the comment was placed without any
malice whatsoever. And that's where I'll leave it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/23/2013 9:27 PM, JayPique wrote:
On Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:55:10 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

reactionary drivel snipped

Try what?

Working on your reading comprehension, for starters.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:29:43 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Working on your reading comprehension, for starters.

lol... Why so worked up? You don't even have a dog in the fight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2013 9:48 PM, JayPique wrote:

Swingman wrote:

Working on your reading comprehension, for starters.

lol... Why so worked up? You don't even have a dog in the fight.

You will also want to add working on your demonstrated inability to make
reasonable assumptions.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:12:04 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Working on your reading comprehension, for starters.

lol... Why so worked up? You don't even have a dog in the fight.

You will also want to add working on your demonstrated inability to make
reasonable assumptions.

Oh crap. It was only a matter of time before someone picked up on my demonstrated inability to make reasonable assumptions. That raw nerve has plagued me for years. So which is it - you're not worked up, or you do have a dog in the fight? Regardless, I concede to your superior wit and repartee.

Nice install of those Home Depot cabinets on your homepage, btw.