Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JessEm mortiser report

Got the mortiser today. Set up is quick, the process of drilling a half-dozen holes and then swinging the arm back and forth a few times takes a minute or so and the floating tenon fits OK. Will need to tweak the settings to get it where I want it. Out of the box it was a tad loose on the ends of the mortise (or the tenons were a tad short :-)). Tweaked it and the mortise was a tad too tight.

Still need to try aligning with the mating board, but it seems this will be OK for light duty. It certainly isn't a Domino, but at less than 10% of the Festool price I think it's a good solution for my needs.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:38:03 -0800 (PST), "Gramp's shop"
wrote:

Got the mortiser today. Set up is quick, the process of drilling a half-dozen holes and then swinging the arm back and forth a few times takes a minute or so and the floating tenon fits OK. Will need to tweak the settings to get it where I want it. Out of the box it was a tad loose on the ends of the mortise (or the tenons were a tad short :-)). Tweaked it and the mortise was a tad too tight.

Do they have an RCH setting? If not, tell JessEm.
(OR, you could drill and tap one end, then install a fine-threaded
adjustment screw to get your RCH worth of movement.)

Still need to try aligning with the mating board, but it seems this will be OK for light duty. It certainly isn't a Domino, but at less than 10% of the Festool price I think it's a good solution for my needs.

You betcha. Great minds think alike, Larry. Carry on!

--
If government were a product,
selling it would be illegal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Got the mortiser today. Set up is quick, the process of drilling a half-dozen holes and then swinging the arm back and forth a few times takes a minute or so and the floating tenon fits OK. Will need to tweak the settings to get it where I want it. Out of the box it was a tad loose on the ends of the mortise (or the tenons were a tad short :-)). Tweaked it and the mortise was a tad too tight.

Do they have an RCH setting? If not, tell JessEm.

(OR, you could drill and tap one end, then install a fine-threaded

adjustment screw to get your RCH worth of movement.)

Snip

I'll bite ... what is RCH? If you mean left-right micro adjustment, the answer is yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

I'll bite ... what is RCH?

Ugh-oh...

--

-Mike-

JessEm Mortise mill Gramp's shop[_2_] Woodworking 70 February 4th 13 12:28 AM
JessEm Mast-R-Lift Art Greenberg Woodworking 4 March 21st 07 02:05 AM
Jessem Mast R Slide Vic Woodworking 4 October 12th 06 03:27 PM
New Jessem Sliding Table axeman1972 Woodworking 2 October 2nd 05 10:09 PM
JessEm CNT Woodworking 5 March 2nd 05 11:56 PM