Posted to rec.woodworking

Default large router

I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

AFAIK there aren't any others...from the FWW review of not terribly long
ago...

Porter-Cable has every power range covered -- from 7/8 hp to 3-1/4
hp. DeWalt's only entry is 1.5 hp; Bosch has models in 1-3/4 hp and 2
hp; and Milwaukee in 1-1/2 hp and 2 hp. Ryobi, Makita, and
Sears/Craftsman also have fixed-base entrants of various strengths,
but Makita is the only commercial-grade tool with two entries at 1 hp
and 1-3/8 hp. Porter-Cable has an exclusive in the sustained all-day
power class (7518), and there are no other fixed-base routers of its
size (3 hp).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

Milwaukee
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0674_200190674

BTY you can buy just the motor for the PC if that is all you are
interested in.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 10:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

Milwaukee
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0674_200190674

BTY you can buy just the motor for the PC if that is all you are
interested in.

FWIW Milwaukee is actually claiming 3.5 hp now.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/5625-20

And less expensive here

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...368321&cj=true

or here

http://www.acmetools.com/tools/MILWA...psrid=31565314

or here

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Milwauk...psrid=31565326
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:36:28 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

Milwaukee
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0674_200190674

BTY you can buy just the motor for the PC if that is all you are
interested in.

Thanks

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and
that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table
saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will
not be able to produce at that volume level I don't
believe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 1:15 PM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

That would be 24 passes assuming you put a dado set on there that is
just over 3/4" wide. I think I have seen 13/16".

Posted to rec.woodworking

O Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X

1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute

Might consider a dado blade on a radial arm saw. With a 2 position stop setup you can crank these out in a few seconds each.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

I am sure you have thought this out and you have had numerous
suggestions but to be quick I would consider building an 8 slot template
to fit over the stock to be routed. Then use a top bearing flush trim
bit to hog out between the slots in the template.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:12:45 -0600, Leon wrote:

On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

I am sure you have thought this out and you have had numerous
suggestions but to be quick I would consider building an 8 slot template
to fit over the stock to be routed. Then use a top bearing flush trim
bit to hog out between the slots in the template.

Each piece will have two slots in the same plane, doing 4 pieces a minute
or so.

That is the plan to build a fixed template with two slots to hog out the
dados, templates can be fixed with enough slack to allow swapping
workpieces without a lot of futzing about. Speed is more important
than accuracy for this and if the dadoes are within an 1/16" of where they
are supposed to be, all will be good.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:15:23 -0800, Pat Barber wrote:

On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and
that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table
saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will
not be able to produce at that volume level I don't
believe.

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:45:35 -0600, basilisk
wrote:

I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

'k, I gotta' ask: What the heck are you making?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

'k, I gotta' ask: What the heck are you making?

Not really at liberty to be specific, but think "throwaway
shipping pieces"

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 3:03 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

'k, I gotta' ask: What the heck are you making?

Dadoes?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 2/13/2013 10:36 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2013 9:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

Milwaukee
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0674_200190674

BTY you can buy just the motor for the PC if that is all you are
interested in.

FWIW Milwaukee is actually claiming 3.5 hp now.
================================================== ==============================================
They might as well claim 10 horsepower. It would be just as true as claiming
3.5. On 120 volt, 15 amp circuit, 2.41 horsepower is all you can get and
that only if assuming 100% efficiency.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 3:51 PM, basilisk wrote:
[...]

Have you considered putting the router in a table and using a power
feeder to push it through. I don't know if 8 will be possible a minute
but it would probably be the best way to control burning the bit, and
getting a quality cut in one or multiple passes.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

================================================= ===============================================
They might as well claim 10 horsepower. It would be just as true as claiming
3.5. On 120 volt, 15 amp circuit, 2.41 horsepower is all you can get and
that only if assuming 100% efficiency.

You have to look at how some companies rate horsepower. They may run
it at 125% in a frozen eviorment and take the last reading they had
before it disintegrated.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

O Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X

1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute

Might consider a dado blade on a radial arm saw. With a 2 position stop setup you can crank these out in a few seconds each.

Ok scratch my last comment, I didn't see the 4" stock, just the 1.75 x .5...
a power feeder won't do the 4" wide.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

================================================== ================================================== ===
Very true but it doesn't make it true. I had an electronics instructor that
was very close to getting his masters degree and he firmly believed that he
had a 3.25 horsepower router. They'll give a degree to anyone these days.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 12:51 PM, basilisk wrote:

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

I didn't realize that Freud makes some rather larger bits and
that should work for your project....

Scary large...

http://www.freudtools.com/p-177-top-...trim-bits.aspx

Note the following:

50-126 1-1/4" 1-1/4" 1-1/2" 1/2" 3-3/8"
50-130 1-1/2" 1-1/2" 1-3/4" 1/2" 3-3/4"
50-138 2" 2" 2" 1/2" 4"

*This bit has an oversized bearing to work for various jigs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/13/2013 7:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

OT, but I did see a rather large trim saw in a documentary about
Steinway pianos. After they glue up the laminated frame they trim the
edges with a saw that is basically a 10- or 20-hp motor with a
horizontally-mounted saw blade attached. The piano frame, on a dolly,
is pushed through the unshielded saw by a couple or three brave guys.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/14/13 4:21 PM, scritch wrote:
On 2/13/2013 7:45 AM, basilisk wrote:
I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

220V wouldn't be a problem.

basilisk

OT, but I did see a rather large trim saw in a documentary about
Steinway pianos. After they glue up the laminated frame they trim the
edges with a saw that is basically a 10- or 20-hp motor with a
horizontally-mounted saw blade attached. The piano frame, on a dolly,
is pushed through the unshielded saw by a couple or three brave guys.

I think that was called "Note By Note" and it's on Netflix.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
On 2/13/2013 12:51 PM, basilisk wrote:

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

I didn't realize that Freud makes some rather larger bits and
that should work for your project....

Scary large...

http://www.freudtools.com/p-177-top-...trim-bits.aspx

Note the following:

50-138 2" 2" 2" 1/2" 4"

Ooooo...how much HP for that, full depth, one pass?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:37:20 -0800, Pat Barber wrote:

On 2/13/2013 12:51 PM, basilisk wrote:

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

I didn't realize that Freud makes some rather larger bits and
that should work for your project....

Scary large...

http://www.freudtools.com/p-177-top-...trim-bits.aspx

Note the following:

50-126 1-1/4" 1-1/4" 1-1/2" 1/2" 3-3/8"
50-130 1-1/2" 1-1/2" 1-3/4" 1/2" 3-3/4"
50-138 2" 2" 2" 1/2" 4"

*This bit has an oversized bearing to work for various jigs.

Thanks for pointing those out, I hadn't looked a Freuds.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:51:05 PM UTC-8, basilisk wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:15:23 -0800, Pat Barber wrote:

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

I'd still worry about the force on a big router bit (it'll try to move the work
sideways), as compared with the force on a dado set in a radial arm
saw (which pulls the work toward the fence).

Unless you have a quick clamp system and jig, the RAS would seem
to me the faster solution, and you'll get lots more cuts per blade
resharpening.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and
that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table
saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will
not be able to produce at that volume level I don't
believe.

I will comment on the fact that if the Milwaukee router is anything like my
Milwaukee portable circular saws, it has the best chance of any of them of
doing the job. My circular saws could rip all day long, and did for many
years, and never failed the gears or bearings. More torque than any other
contractor grade saws. Milwaukee is also usually about 15% heavier than
other brands, and in these cases, weight is usually highly relatable to
strength and durability.

If I had need of a monster router, it would be my choice, hands down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"basilisk" wrote:

I was looking around for a large fixed base router, for a
possible work related job, this will probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7518-Speedmatic-5-Speed-Router/dp/B0000222V3

Does anyone know of a larger fixed base, handheld router?

Milwaukee 5625; however, trying to use that beast as a hand
held device scares the hell out of me.

Give some thought to mounting the router securely and fixturing
the part while it is being cut.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 15, 2013 4:33:18 PM UTC-6, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"basilisk" wrote: I was looking around for a large fixed base router,

Milwaukee 5625; however, trying to use that beast as a hand held device scares the hell out of me. Give some thought to mounting the router securely and fixturing the part while it is being cut. Lew

On advice from those here, I bought the Milwaukee 5625-20 and am very pleased with it. I not only needed an upgrade, but I need some beef.

Hand held routing can be safe with the 5625. Just take your time and make shallow cuts. I recently made rabbets with a 5/8" straight bit and there was no problem handling the router or the cutting. I made shallow and narrow cuts, not one-pass cutting. I would not attempt making a 5/8" dado by a hand held method with this 5/8" bit.

I bought this router for using these large profile bits (first few pics on the Photostream link). I would not attempt to use the hand held method for these bits. As someone said, using the hand held method, with large bits, are likely to throw the router, throw the wood or both. I have yet to make a router table, but it's on my agenda. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/

I would recommend the Milwaukee 5625-20.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote:

Hand held routing can be safe with the 5625. Just take your time and
make shallow cuts.
Agree: however, speed was a part of the requirements specified.

IMHO, speed and a large hand held router are mutually exclusive.

Lew