Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default large router

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and
that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table
saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will
not be able to produce at that volume level I don't
believe.

I will comment on the fact that if the Milwaukee router is anything like my
Milwaukee portable circular saws, it has the best chance of any of them of
doing the job. My circular saws could rip all day long, and did for many
years, and never failed the gears or bearings. More torque than any other
contractor grade saws. Milwaukee is also usually about 15% heavier than
other brands, and in these cases, weight is usually highly relatable to
strength and durability.

If I had need of a monster router, it would be my choice, hands down.