Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default large router

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:15:23 -0800, Pat Barber wrote:

On 2/13/2013 9:30 AM, basilisk wrote:

It would be used as a handheld, the milwaukee looks good, it goes to the
top of the list. Wanting a large router is more about duty cycle than the
actual load per cut. Intended use would be to cut about 8, .5" deep X
1.75" wide dadoes across 4" stock a minute, if the job became higher
volume, then custom
machinery would be brought into play.

Wouldn't a table saw with a dado blade be much faster ???

1/2" dado is pretty deep even for a big ass router.

You will need a least 3 passes for that deep a cut and
that might be pushing it pretty hard.

To make 8 per minute is pretty tough for a big table
saw with a dado blade set at max width. A router will
not be able to produce at that volume level I don't
believe.

Oridinarily I would agree, but this operation doesn't require
chip free edges or a nice smooth cut, finish will be sacrificed
for speed, and the material will all be pine.

basilisk