Posted to rec.woodworking

Default JessEm Mortise mill

Anybody have hands on with this one: http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2013 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Anybody have hands on with this one: http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no
comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying something.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 2/1/2013 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Anybody have hands on with this one:
http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no
comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying something.

It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is small,
portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much smaller than a
dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small, one man
shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

It reminds me of the Beadlock, remember that?

http://www.beadlock.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote"
It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is
small, portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much
smaller than a dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less
space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small,
one man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

--------------------------------
+1

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
web.com...

"Lee Michaels" wrote"
It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is small,
portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much smaller than a
dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small, one
man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

--------------------------------
+1

Lew

One thing that I noticed on the site was that tenons could be added to cope
and stick joints... that may be useful in cases where a stronger joint is
needed. This jig would offer a reasonable means to meet that need.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote"

It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is
small, portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much
smaller than a dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less
space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a
small, one man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

--------------------------------

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

+1

---------------------------------------
Forgot to mention that it is a natural if you do picture frames.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2013 9:48 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 2/1/2013 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Anybody have hands on with this one:
http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no
comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying something.

It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is small,
portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much smaller than a
dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small, one
man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

It reminds me of the Beadlock, remember that?

http://www.beadlock.com/

The possible problem I see with it is if you don't move the bit over
enough with initial drilling it might slide back into the previous hole.
If you move it so that it makes a complete hole then sliding the lever
back and forth to clean out the left behind waste might make the jig
slide out of position. If you tighten the clamp too much you mar the
surface of the wood.

I would want a money back guarantee.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/2013 12:50 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I have no experience, but my first thought was to wonder how well a
side-cutting bit would work in tough wood at the RPM provided by a
standard drill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

I have no experience, but my first thought was to wonder how well a
side-cutting bit would work in tough wood at the RPM provided by a
standard drill.

I wondered the same thing at first, but given that it's just cutting out
small waste sections, I guess it's possible that it can work well enough.
It would be interesting to hear what folks who have used them say.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote in :

I have no experience, but my first thought was to wonder how well a
side-cutting bit would work in tough wood at the RPM provided by a
standard drill.

Same here -- which caused me to wonder if you can use a router instead of a drill...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/13 12:08 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 2/1/2013 12:50 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

It's only to clean up the hole, after having drilled down all the way in
several places.
I've seen guys demonstrate it and they all had their own technique that
worked equally well.
I do wonder how it might be retrofitted with a trim router and good
router bit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:17:38 -0600, Leon wrote:

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no
comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying
something.

Woodcraft carried them when they first came out. They don't now. Must
not have been a good seller. IIRC, there was a larger version as well.

I did buy some of the loose tenons - seemed like a good buy at the time.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/1/13 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Anybody have hands on with this one: http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry

That's a great price for that. Not only is it cheaper than the Beadlock
Pro, but it's easier to make your own tenons. I almost pulled the
trigger on one of these, but I already have a self-centering doweling
jig that is easier to use than this JessEm.

I think it would be a great way to decide if loose tenon joinery was the
"thing for you" and if you fall in love with it, you could bite the
bullet on the Domino.

I still might get one to check out.
Even if I don't like it, I could get at least 40 bucks back on ebay.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's the bottom line for me on build vs buy: I'm a hobbyist and if I use 100 tenons in a year I will be surprised. Having said that, once I get my hands on what Jessem sends, I'm bound to try making my own.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2013 2:02 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Here's the bottom line for me on build vs buy: I'm a hobbyist and if I use 100 tenons in a year I will be surprised. Having said that, once I get my hands on what Jessem sends, I'm bound to try making my own.

Larry

FWIW, hobbyist or not, being able to cut mortises and use tenons more
quickly affords you the advantage of building "better more quickly".
If you are anything like me you will find that if the tool is worth
while and not a PIA to use you will use it more in place of other other
tools. You will find more reasons to use the this type joinery. Building
furniture with mortise and tenon joinery is a by far better than using
pocket hole screws and or biscuits.

Basically if you are not satisfied by the Jesem jig don't let that leave
you with a bad taste for mortise and tenon joinery.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/13 3:50 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/2/2013 2:02 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Here's the bottom line for me on build vs buy: I'm a hobbyist and if I
use 100 tenons in a year I will be surprised. Having said that, once
I get my hands on what Jessem sends, I'm bound to try making my own.

Larry

FWIW, hobbyist or not, being able to cut mortises and use tenons more
quickly affords you the advantage of building "better more quickly". If
you are anything like me you will find that if the tool is worth while
and not a PIA to use you will use it more in place of other other tools.
You will find more reasons to use the this type joinery. Building
furniture with mortise and tenon joinery is a by far better than using
pocket hole screws and or biscuits.

Basically if you are not satisfied by the Jesem jig don't let that leave
you with a bad taste for mortise and tenon joinery.

I optimistically think the opposite would happen.
As with pocket holes, even an awkward, simple jig that requires extra
steps and time in order to make lots of joints allows you to fall in
love with the use of pocket holes. I've never upgraded by simple little
jig, but I use a ton of those joints. I think whenever i do upgrade to
one with integrated tables, clamps, dust vac exhaust, etc., it'll be a
wonderful luxury, but I'm not going to stop using pocket holes any time
soon, simple because my little Kreg can be awkward.

I'm in the same position with my current doweling jig that is pretty
awkward and slow to use. I've developed steps and processes to make
things go more quickly, but I still see the advantage of dowels and can
easily see how loose tenon joinery (especially the Domino) will be a
great improvement. I look forward to owning and using a Domino, but I'm
still going to make lots of joints using dowels (round loose tenons).

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

JessEm Mast-R-Lift Art Greenberg Woodworking 4 March 21st 07 02:05 AM
Jessem Mast R Slide Vic Woodworking 4 October 12th 06 03:27 PM
New Jessem Sliding Table axeman1972 Woodworking 2 October 2nd 05 10:09 PM
Sliding Miter Table by Jessem rickluce Woodworking 0 September 15th 05 01:50 AM
JessEm CNT Woodworking 5 March 2nd 05 11:56 PM