Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default JessEm Mortise mill

On 2/1/2013 9:48 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 2/1/2013 7:45 AM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Anybody have hands on with this one:
http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pocket_M...ll_p/08200.htm

Larry

Just an observation. It has been out 3~5 years now and I have seen no
comments about it since it was introduced. That may be saying something.

It probably is not marketed that well. It is intriguing. It is small,
portable and costs much less than a Domino. And is much smaller than a
dedicated mortise machine. And takes up much less space.

It is not a production tool or anything like that. But for a small, one
man shop, hobby woodworker. it would work just fine.

It reminds me of the Beadlock, remember that?

http://www.beadlock.com/

The possible problem I see with it is if you don't move the bit over
enough with initial drilling it might slide back into the previous hole.
If you move it so that it makes a complete hole then sliding the lever
back and forth to clean out the left behind waste might make the jig
slide out of position. If you tighten the clamp too much you mar the
surface of the wood.

I would want a money back guarantee.