Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default modifying cafe door swing

I have an area where I want to put a cafe door. As most of you know, the
standard hinges for those are pivot hinges...pins in the top and bottom of
the hinge stile fit into holes in "L" shaped jamb brackets. I like the ones
where the bottom hinges have a shaped plastic part that lets the door ride
up and then drop down when it is open to the max, thus keeping it in that
position until someone closes it. Addiionally, it allows adjustment when
doors are closed so that they can be aligned. Like this...
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...fe+Door+Pivots

All in all, they are nice hinges. Problem is, they only allow a 180 degree
swing of the doors and I need 270 degrees.

The only way I can think of to accomplish what I want is to mount the pivot
hinges on a hinged piece of wood which is positioned as a casing would be;
i.e., offset from the jamb. For hinges, I would probably use these cabinet
hinges because they are self closing and fasten solidly...
http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?P...9&LARGEVIEW=ON

The idea is that the cafe hinges would function in the normal manner but -
when opening toward the 270 degree side - continued pushing would activate
the cabinet hinges allowing continued swing. The only bad thing about this
scenario is that even though the door would be held in position at the cafe
door hinge position, the cabinet hinge is still free to swing closed. I
don't see that as a huge problem as the cabinet hinges are fairly stiff and
aren't self closing until they are nearly closed. Thoughts?

I do know that there are offset pivot hinges that allow 270 degrees but they
don't have the "stay open" and alignment feature of those I favor. At
least, I haven't found any that do.

What I'm looking for from you folks is input relative to the efficacy of my
plan and/or other solutions.

Thanks

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote:
Addiionally, it allows adjustment when doors are closed so that they
can be aligned. Like this...
http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges...fe+Door+Pivots

All in all, they are nice hinges. Problem is, they only allow a 180
degree swing of the doors and I need 270 degrees.

I used this hinge almost 40 years ago when I finished a basement.

When they work, the work; however,keeping the plastic cam on the
bottom hinge fixed in the correct position is a total PITA.

The cam is held in position with one screw that keeps wanting to
slip over time. Even Loctite didn't solve the problem.

Maybe time has brought change.

IMHO, the number of problems increases as the square of the
number of devices req'd for the solution.

IOW, one hinge set = one problem, two hinge sets = four problems.
(2^2=4).

YMMV

Lew