Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door swing question

I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get reversed, but that
would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's so people can't kick them
in so easily, but then, they get pulled off a lot easier.

Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't be the
best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or knock them off
the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get
reversed, but that would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's
so people can't kick them in so easily, but then, they get pulled off
a lot easier.
Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't
be the best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or
knock them off the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

They need special hinges or pins installed into the hinges to be secure. I
installed a door this way on a bedroom exit to a deck when there wasn't enough
room for another door inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get reversed, but that
would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's so people can't kick them
in so easily, but then, they get pulled off a lot easier.

Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't be the
best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or knock them off
the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

How would you install a storm door on a door that opened out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

You obviously don't need one but you might want a screen door that opens in.

--
LSMFT

Force ****s upon the Back of Reason...
Ben Franklin-

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:39:58 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get reversed, but that
would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's so people can't kick them
in so easily, but then, they get pulled off a lot easier.

Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't be the
best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or knock them off
the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

Steve

It was built in 1940's??

I'm trying to recall my grandfather's house ... thinking it was an out
swing door with steps.

In Dade County anything is possible.........it's a damn freak show
down there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My doors swing in. I wouldn't be able to get out after two feet of snow
if they swung out.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
[...]

With conflicting results?

Steve ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Screen door, same as on motor homes. Storm door? Not sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ken"
wrote in message

How would you install a storm door on a door that opened
out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2011 11:17 AM, Ken wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

you put the storm door on the inside. LOL! Well it wouldn't be any
more ridiculous than having the regular door swing OUT! LMAO!!

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2011 11:39 AM, Steve B wrote:
I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get reversed, but that
would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's so people can't kick them
in so easily, but then, they get pulled off a lot easier.

Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't be the
best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or knock them off
the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

When I was up in PA it was code to have at least 2 exterior doors that
swing in. I think it has to do with emergency exits during a fire. Too
much snow and the doors aren't going to swing out. I'm not sure how
storm doors get around that?

Never seen a storm door swing in... uh except for in my old basement
going to the Bilco Doors. With the bilco doors open and the backwards
storm door, we got lots of daylight and also some direct sun in the
middle of winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:41:55 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

On 2/18/2011 11:39 AM, Steve B wrote:
I watch TV programs like Miami, Dade County SWAT.

Lots and lots and lots of front doors on people's houses swing OUT. I know
that sometimes they can flip the editing, and things get reversed, but that
would be impossible for front doors. I guess it's so people can't kick them
in so easily, but then, they get pulled off a lot easier.

Anyone know about this practice? They sure look funny, and wouldn't be the
best way to mount a door. Bang someone in the forehead, or knock them off
the stoop, or get it wet when it's raining.

When I was up in PA it was code to have at least 2 exterior doors that
swing in. I think it has to do with emergency exits during a fire. Too
much snow and the doors aren't going to swing out. I'm not sure how
storm doors get around that?

They don't. I went out twice during a recent snowstorm to shovel away
the snow or I wouldn't have been able to open the storm door.
The second time I had to squeeze myself out so I didn't stress the
door too much.
OTOH most storm doors I've seen are flimsy and have removable inserts,
so even if snow was half way up it, you could manage to get out.
I don't think snow blockage has much to do with door design.
You're supposed to grab a shovel before you get trapped.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

When I was up in PA it was code to have at least 2 exterior doors that
swing in. I think it has to do with emergency exits during a fire. Too
much snow and the doors aren't going to swing out. I'm not sure how
storm doors get around that?

They don't. I went out twice during a recent snowstorm to shovel away
the snow or I wouldn't have been able to open the storm door.
The second time I had to squeeze myself out so I didn't stress the
door too much.
OTOH most storm doors I've seen are flimsy and have removable inserts,
so even if snow was half way up it, you could manage to get out.
I don't think snow blockage has much to do with door design.
You're supposed to grab a shovel before you get trapped.

--Vic

Or, if you really want the door to swing out, you can use a rolling
screen, if you need one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
Robert, thank you for an intelligent and concise answer. This has become
so extremely rare on usenet. It is the type answer that made usenet
possible and popular.

It is tragic to see the depths to which it has come with politics and name
calling. I miss the usenet we once had.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Still, you gotta wonder why people would want to literally push someone off
their stoop so they could come inside. And have the door open outwards and
get rained on. You knock on the door, then have to jump back or step
backwards off the stoop because a door is coming at your face. Doesn't make
any sense to me. Just thought we might have some LEOs or druggies who might
chime in with their take on the question.

For commercial buildings, it is just plain common sense, although it did
take a few disasters for everyone to get on the same page.

And I agree about your Usenet comments. But this is just like the real
world, rude people and all.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 11:34*am, "Steve B" wrote:

Still, you gotta wonder why people would want to literally push someone off
their stoop so they could come inside. *And have the door open outwards and
get rained on. *You knock on the door, then have to jump back or step
backwards off the stoop because a door is coming at your face. *Doesn't make
any sense to me.

That's no different than an in-swing door with a storm door. People
on both sides still have to step back.

People are pretty good about not getting hit in the face with a door,
and other people are pretty good at not hitting other people in the
face with a door. Usually happens once and then they learn. It's a
vertical learning curve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 3:20*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:

But I suspect it's the Iroquois Theatre fire that you're thinking about. *It
resulted in significant changes to fire and building codes worldwide, among
them the "panic bar."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois_Theatre_fire

The ITF killed 605 or more in 1903, making it the most deadly one building
fire in American history. * Deaths there were mostly caused by iron gates,
meant to keep people from swarming the stage, at the bottom of the
staircases. *Generally, the place was a firetrap and inspectors, who had
noted the deficiencies, were told not to anger the powerful syndicate that
built the theater. * Allegations of bribes were also made (it was Chicago -
what else is new?).

Some perished while trapped in dead ends or while attempting to open "doors"
that were in reality windows designed to look like doors. *The Iroquois
doors used bascule locks that were not familar to theater patrons and thus
hard to open in the dark * What's a bascule lock?

http://schlagelocks.wordpress.com/20...tion-of-the-ba...

I read that link and then looked for some pictures of a bascule lock.
I couldn't find any. The description of the look says that the lock
was operated by turning the lever either way - kind of like retracting
a latch with a cylindrical latchset. You can turn the knob either way
to open the door. So I really don't understand why the bascule lock
presented such problems. Press either side of the lever either up or
down and it opens. Where did the problem come in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course, some Larry Moe and Curley type make a living
being hit by doors.

Thanks to another poster for teasing me with a link about
Bascule lock. Never heard of those, and I can't find any
good information on the web.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour"
wrote in message

People are pretty good about not getting hit in the face
with a door,
and other people are pretty good at not hitting other people
in the
face with a door. Usually happens once and then they learn.
It's a
vertical learning curve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
RicodJour wrote:

On Feb 18, 3:20*pm, "Robert Green" robert wrote:

[...]

Yeah, all that typing and no pictures. Very disappointing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message
Robert, thank you for an intelligent and concise answer. This has
become so extremely rare on usenet. It is the type answer that made
usenet possible and popular.

It is tragic to see the depths to which it has come with politics
and name calling. I miss the usenet we once had.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Still, you gotta wonder why people would want to literally push
someone off their stoop so they could come inside. And have the door
open outwards and get rained on. You knock on the door, then have to
jump back or step backwards off the stoop because a door is coming at
your face. Doesn't make any sense to me. Just thought we might have
some LEOs or druggies who might chime in with their take on the
question.

If you have a 3 foot square porch, maybe it's a problem. Otherwise, you just
step back as the door opens, just like you do when you open a regular one from
the inside. The porch roof takes care of any rain issue.

When I installed a door to open outward, it was because it would have conflicted
with another inside door otherwise.

Have a homebrew and relax.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. I tried to find better description or a picture - no luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

I understand that an outward opening door would not be a problem to people
who lived there, or who were knowledgeable about how the door worked. For
everyone else, people with groceries in their hands, new visitors, small
children who don't understand to get back, and people who might have to step
back and DOWN a step or five on the stoop just to swing the door open so
they could get in, an outward opening door is something that I can not
understand being installed in that configuration. That makes as much sense
as putting an INWARD opening door in a tiny closet so that you could not
open the door once you threw anything in there, nave no floor storage space,
couldn't open the door if anything fell off a shelf and blocked the door,
nor have access to any shelf behind the door. To me, an outward opening
door looks like it belongs on a crack house. They are just not "common",
and makes as much sense as installing shingles from the top down, leaving
the shingles to collect instead of repel water.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

We'll put you down as one vote "against," then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

A very general answer based on very specific problems, that probably do not
apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 4:21*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*"Steve B" wrote:

[...]

He seems dead set against it, so let's give him two votes against.
That should make him feel better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was also unable to find any pictures of the Bascule lock.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F"
wrote in message

Some perished while trapped in dead ends or while
attempting to
open "doors" that were in reality windows designed to
look like
doors. The Iroquois doors used bascule locks that were
not familar
to theater patrons and thus hard to open in the dark
What's a
bascule lock?

http://schlagelocks.wordpress.com/20...tion-of-the-ba...

I read that link and then looked for some pictures of a
bascule lock.
I couldn't find any. The description of the look says
that the lock

Yeah, all that typing and no pictures. Very disappointing.

Agreed. I tried to find better description or a picture - no
luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 12:04*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

Steve B wrote:
"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Download the book $10http://cabgbypasssurgery.com- Hide quoted text -

If you ever _had_ a house with an out opener, you would never again
want one opening in...assuming you don't have a little bitty stoop
outside it. Why? Because it saves an amazing amount of space inside.

As for the 'stepping back' bit. Why is it any different than when you
want to go out of an in-swing one? The arguments _against_ an out-
opener are mostly nonsense. The one about 'easier to pull it off' is
really nonsensical. True I suppose if you hook a car or something to
it but the average burglar isn't going to be doint that. He for sure
is not going to be able to kick-in an outopener.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 4:41*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
[...]

In all the years I these "in/out" discussions have been conducted,
that 'code' thing keeps being mentioned. Odd that not once have I
ever seen a cite for it...

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 12:34 PM, Bob F wrote:
Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

My front door resembles that remark. Tiny porch, no roof, and no
practical way to add one. The storm door can indeed drop the unwary down
the 2 steps or into the bushes 18 inches below. I seldom use the door-
it can go a month between openings. I don't get a lot of visitors, so it
is not a big issue.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 11:55 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:41 pm, Tony wrote:
[...]

Come over and look at the books, it's in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2011 11:30 AM, DanG wrote:
Robert, thank you for an intelligent and concise answer. This has
become so extremely rare on usenet. It is the type answer that
made usenet possible and popular.

It is tragic to see the depths to which it has come with politics
and name calling. I miss the usenet we once had.

I'll note that in my last house I changed the sealed building plans to
have the rear/kitchen door swing out instead of in so it didn't hit you
in the butt if you were cooking, (it was a little tight). The inspector
saw it and said it was a problem, I needed 2 doors that open inward. I
then showed him the bedroom that was modified to be my home office...
complete with a door that opened inward. He said OK, no problem.
(front door also opened inward)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 20:51:45 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

If you ever _had_ a house with an out opener, you would never again
want one opening in...assuming you don't have a little bitty stoop
outside it. Why? Because it saves an amazing amount of space inside.

Never had an out opener.
And never noticed the in openers taking an amazing amount of space.
They open into an "entryway" in every house I've lived in.
While the door is open it covers a part of the wall.
Big deal. I don't put a TV there anyway.
Biggest difference is "space" I would see is we'd store our
boots/shoes 32" closer to the door.
Might make a difference in a real tiny house or a mobile home.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2011 2:13 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:28 pm, Tony wrote:

I'll note that in my last house I changed the sealed building plans to
have the rear/kitchen door swing out instead of in so it didn't hit you
in the butt if you were cooking, (it was a little tight). The inspector
saw it and said it was a problem, I needed 2 doors that open inward. I
then showed him the bedroom that was modified to be my home office...
complete with a door that opened inward. He said OK, no problem.
(front door also opened inward)

I'm wondering if the inspector was addressing issues other than solely
the direction of the door swing.

I don't think so. How would the extra office door at the other end of
the house effect the code for the kitchen door that was allowed to swing
outward? Having that extra office door swinging in made it pass code...
it was the 2nd exit door that opened inward.

I couldn't find anything for Pennsylvania online that prohibited an
out-swinging door. Mainly checked the PA Uniform Construction Code.

Correct, there is nothing prohibiting doors that swing out, they let me
do that in the kitchen. But somewhere there is a code that requires at
least 2 exit doors that swing in.

And the IRC addresses out swing doors, providing conditions for them,
so they are allowed.

Maybe it was a local thing? All I know is I heard it firsthand from the
inspector, and I've heard of it second (or third or fourth hand) from
other people.

Now that I think of it, the modular home builder first balked at the
kitchen door swinging out until I told him the added office door would
swing in and be the 2nd exit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:28 pm, Tony *wrote:

[...]

Well, building inspectors are only human - at least that's the theory,
and they do make mistakes. I've had some tell me doozies over the
years. And they're 100% percent _certain_ that they're right.
Unfortunately my normal tendency to stick a pin in the balloon has to
be tempered with the knowledge that if you **** on the inspector's
shoes, he'll **** on your project and there's not a lot you can do
about it.

Local codes do get quite wacky, but I would bet dollars to donuts (I
can't lose with that one - I love donuts), that it's some urban myth
about the door swing code prohibition. People extrapolating from
commercial egress codes and that sort of thing.

There are two possible reasons to prohibit a particular direction of
door swing - emergency situations and local climactic conditions. In
either case allowing one door to do something different because
another door complies makes little sense. But that brings us full (or
is that fool?) circle back to inspectors and people that write local
codes.

I'd be really interested to read the exact wording of your local code
that addresses the door swing direction. Maybe there's a clue in
there about what they were thinking. If you find it, please post it.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 12:28 pm, Tony * *wrote:

[...]

First, I said maybe it's a local code, I didn't say it is.

Second, there is the company that built the modular house for me, they
don't build any without 2 exit doors that swing in unless you give them
a written waiver. *(at first they wanted me to sign a waiver until they
realized there would be the 3rd exit door, which opened in.) *They were
located in PA but about 100 miles away. *They deliver custom built
modular homes to 5 or so different states, all with 2 doors that swing in..

Third, I moved 600 miles from there so I doubt I'll trade time with my
family and grandchildren to read up on the ol' codes while I'm up there.

Spending time with your grandkids is more important to you than
figuring out code for a door...? Man, you are an odd duck!

Tony, what I was hoping to achieve is some resolution on this topic,
as this question comes up frequently. People searching in years to
come will run across this thread, and others. I thought it would be
nice to leave a fully answered question to posterity. I guess it'll
have to wait for another time...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 18, 4:41 pm, Tony *wrote:
[...]

Come over and look at the books, it's in there.- Hide quoted text -

So you can't supply a cite. I suspected as much.

Harry K