Steve

Default Swing Up Garage Door hardware source.

I'm enclosing my small carport so I can work on my veh. and project during
cold weather. I don't have room for a overhead (track type) door so I just
want to use the Swing Up type that were common in the '60-70.

I don't want to purchase or have built a complete door, I can do this myself
and must, since it will be an uncommon size.. (8'wide X 7' high)

I checked at HomeDepot and they just about laughed me out of the store.
(these were the 'specialized' sales people who 'push' the fancy doors and of
course, installation).

Anyone have any idea, where to go to get just the hardware w/instructions
sheets. So I can build my own door and install it myself??

I'm in the Pac. NW. Washington state.

Steve
DIYer

Bob Bowles

One of the pivot supports for our sectional door cracked and yellow
pages found an outfit in town that installed them. When I took the
bracket in she commented "You'll probably need 2" and provided them at
no charge. Yellow pages would be my first step.

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 06:54:22 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm enclosing my small carport so I can work on my veh. and project during
cold weather. I don't have room for a overhead (track type) door so I just
want to use the Swing Up type that were common in the '60-70.

Rich

Steve, decides to chip in.

I'm enclosing my small carport so I can work on my veh. and project during
cold weather. I don't have room for a overhead (track type) door so I just
want to use the Swing Up type that were common in the '60-70.

I don't want to purchase or have built a complete door, I can do this
myself and must, since it will be an uncommon size.. (8'wide X 7' high)

I checked at HomeDepot and they just about laughed me out of the store.
(these were the 'specialized' sales people who 'push' the fancy doors and
of course, installation).

Anyone have any idea, where to go to get just the hardware w/instructions
sheets. So I can build my own door and install it myself??

I'm in the Pac. NW. Washington state.

Steve
DIYer

Why not find an installer who install these upper end garage doors, I'm sure
he dismantles the ones you're talking about. Probably has tons of old
hardware from these type doors and would gladly part with them for just
about nothing. Its normally the springs that go bad with this type of door
and I'm surprised you could not find them or the support hardware at the
Home Depot or wherever.

Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.
Doordoc

"Steve" wrote in message ...
I'm enclosing my small carport so I can work on my veh. and project during
cold weather. I don't have room for a overhead (track type) door so I just
want to use the Swing Up type that were common in the '60-70.

I don't want to purchase or have built a complete door, I can do this myself
and must, since it will be an uncommon size.. (8'wide X 7' high)

I checked at HomeDepot and they just about laughed me out of the store.
(these were the 'specialized' sales people who 'push' the fancy doors and of
course, installation).

Anyone have any idea, where to go to get just the hardware w/instructions
sheets. So I can build my own door and install it myself??

I'm in the Pac. NW. Washington state.

Steve
DIYer

This is what you are looking for
https://www.garage-door.com/OnePieceHdwe.htm although you can install
a standard overhead sectional door in w/ 4" of headroom w/ double low
headroom track. I have no association or knowledge about the company
that has the one-piece hardware other than by finding the site by
typing "one-piece garage door hardware" into a search engine. Actually
an 8x7 is a quite common size for one-piece doors, since a 16x7 is
simply two 8x7 slabs bolted together in the middle.

Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
Steve

Thanks Doc.

I hadn't searched using that phrase. I was going with 'California Door',
etc.

I just visited the link you gave plus I then linked to Holmes and then to
the local Holmes dealer.

Turns out I had called the local Holmes dealer this morning and they told me
that the single piece swing up doors were obsolete and no longer available..
Wanted to sell me on the rollup doors..

I just sent them an email specifying the Holmes part number for the hardware
kit that I want.

We shall see if they now try to deny that the stuff is available.

Thanks again.

Steve