Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ouch!

Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
m...
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2084652/39485/jorgenson-casework-claw-set-model-8540.aspx?refcode=13IN01RL&utm_source=directemail &utm_medium=email&utm_content=1-17-13&utm_campaign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

Harbor Freight will have them out soon... and Sears. Of course one of them
will have alignment and thread issues and flex in use, and the other one's
design will be tinkered with to the point of making it beyond stupid in
use... built in laser levels and tape measure as "added features." ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with
something new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2084652/39485/jorgenson-casework-claw-set-model-8540.aspx?refcode=13IN01RL&utm_source=directemail &utm_medium=email&utm_content=1-17-13&utm_campaign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

Harbor Freight will have them out soon... and Sears. Of course one of
them will have alignment and thread issues and flex in use, and the
other one's design will be tinkered with to the point of making it
beyond stupid in use... built in laser levels and tape measure as "added
features." ;~)

But, but ... lasers or soooo late 20th century. LOL

In the interest of "don't criticize without adding an alternative":

For joining frameless cabinets as shown in the video, and stated as the
designed for use, it's hard to beat a good Fstyle or Kbody at half the
price, or less:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...p-12-pair.aspx

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...15912400748146

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...0985355 97874

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

I wonder too.

Okay, I will admit to having purchased a set of the Jorgensen 8510
"Cabinet Claw" clamps about a dozen years ago when doing a full kitchen
makeover. Hey! It seemed a good idea at the time and it actually was.

Google the 8510 and compare the difference to the "new improved" P.O.S.
depicted in Woodcraft's ad.

The 8510 was heavy duty, large knobs to clamp down, no flex, snugged the
face frames dead nuts flat and the stiles as tight as could be AND each
was equipped with a bushed pilot drill hole to get your screws started
perfectly perpendicular after everything was correctly positioned.
Think I paid $49 or $55 for them early in the Millennium and have loaned
the out to several buddies over the years.

Looking at the new ones, I wouldn't give them a second look. Improved?
I don't think so. Not at the price I paid back in the day and for
damn sure not what they are looking to get now.

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

The video is the best part. That clown from Jorgensen is a really great
spokesperson, eh? I wonder if he ever used a clamp?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Okay, I will admit to having purchased a set of the Jorgensen 8510
"Cabinet Claw" clamps about a dozen years ago when doing a full kitchen
makeover. Hey! It seemed a good idea at the time and it actually was.

Absolutely!

Like you, I love my Jorgensen 8510's ... but for _face frame_ cabinets,
not frameless, which is what this clown is selling.

I use the Jorgensen 8510's exclusively when joining face frame cabinets.
Well worth the price, and nothing beats them for functionality and ease
of use for that application, IME.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:08:33 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
om...
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2084652/39485/jorgenson-casework-claw-set-model-8540.aspx?refcode=13IN01RL&utm_source=directemail &utm_medium=email&utm_content=1-17-13&utm_campaign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

Harbor Freight will have them out soon... and Sears. Of course one of them
will have alignment and thread issues and flex in use, and the other one's
design will be tinkered with to the point of making it beyond stupid in
use... built in laser levels and tape measure as "added features." ;~)

"New, improved, Now With lasers and mirrors for perfect accuracy."
with sticker "Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining eye."

Since many cabinets come with faceframes, do they also make a
faceframe-compatible model for "only $229, + s/h and taxes"?

--
Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25
Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!
Posted to rec.woodworking

.. .

wrote:

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

Harbor Freight will have them out soon... and Sears. Of course one of them
will have alignment and thread issues and flex in use, and the other one's
design will be tinkered with to the point of making it beyond stupid in
use... built in laser levels and tape measure as "added features." ;~)

"New, improved, Now With lasers and mirrors for perfect accuracy."
with sticker "Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining eye."

Since many cabinets come with faceframes, do they also make a
faceframe-compatible model for "only $229, + s/h and taxes"?

Their marketing folks would dictate that you buy the clamp and a face frame
accessory kit thus garnering them double the gross profits if you buy both.
However, since the face frame kit is an accessory it will not be in stock so
you have to order it on-line or through the store. This latter need will
garner them shipping and handling revenue far in excess of their costs...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

The video has ole dip ****s wife in it. The thing I really see wrong is
that they DO NOT insure that the faces of the face frames are flush.
That is probably the most important thing that this type clamp should do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 9:29 AM, Swingman wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Thought for sure you were going to shoe these clamps. did you forget these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustable...00000003260430

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 1:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

The video has ole dip ****s wife in it. The thing I really see wrong is
that they DO NOT insure that the faces of the face frames are flush.
That is probably the most important thing that this type clamp should do.

Or the faces of the cabinet sides!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 1:30 PM, Leon wrote:

Thought for sure you were going to shoe these clamps. did you forget
these?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adjustable...00000003260430

About four hours ago ... in the conversation about the 8510's

On 1/18/2013 9:45 AM, Swingman wrote: On 1/18/2013 9:35 AM,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Okay, I will admit to having purchased a set of the Jorgensen 8510
"Cabinet Claw" clamps about a dozen years ago when doing a full kitchen
makeover. Hey! It seemed a good idea at the time and it actually was.

Absolutely!

Like you, I love my Jorgensen 8510's ... but for _face frame_ cabinets,
not frameless, which is what this clown is selling.

I use the Jorgensen 8510's exclusively when joining face frame cabinets.
Well worth the price, and nothing beats them for functionality and ease
of use for that application, IME.

Maybe you didn't get it from the server?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:45:25 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I use the Jorgensen 8510's exclusively when joining face frame cabinets.
Well worth the price, and nothing beats them for functionality and ease
of use for that application, IME.

I bought a pair of these some twenty years ago. Not as fast to use as
your 8510's, but they still work well and are very adjustable.
http://goo.gl/54yhB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/18/2013 10:05 PM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:45:25 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I use the Jorgensen 8510's exclusively when joining face frame cabinets.
Well worth the price, and nothing beats them for functionality and ease
of use for that application, IME.

I bought a pair of these some twenty years ago. Not as fast to use as
your 8510's, but they still work well and are very adjustable.
http://goo.gl/54yhB

Happened to be in Menard's last night and lo and behold they still have
the 8510's in stock. $59.95.

Whatever is Jorgensen thinking with that new crap that Karl stumbled
across for the big bucks?

The size alone - compared to the 8510's - had me thinking, "Here's a guy
using a jeweler's hammmer for some framing.g

Ouch! Swingman Woodworking 11 October 23rd 09 01:58 PM
Ouch Robatoy Woodworking 33 May 7th 07 04:57 PM
Ouch! dustyone Woodturning 7 November 26th 06 02:23 PM
ouch! Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 5 October 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Ouch Phisherman Woodturning 7 April 11th 05 09:42 AM