Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Ouch!

On 1/18/2013 8:43 AM, Swingman wrote:
Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something
new to screw the woodworking consumer?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/208...paign=13IN01RL

Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

I wonder too.

Okay, I will admit to having purchased a set of the Jorgensen 8510
"Cabinet Claw" clamps about a dozen years ago when doing a full kitchen
makeover. Hey! It seemed a good idea at the time and it actually was.

Google the 8510 and compare the difference to the "new improved" P.O.S.
depicted in Woodcraft's ad.

The 8510 was heavy duty, large knobs to clamp down, no flex, snugged the
face frames dead nuts flat and the stiles as tight as could be AND each
was equipped with a bushed pilot drill hole to get your screws started
perfectly perpendicular after everything was correctly positioned.
Think I paid $49 or $55 for them early in the Millennium and have loaned
the out to several buddies over the years.

Looking at the new ones, I wouldn't give them a second look. Improved?
I don't think so. Not at the price I paid back in the day and for
damn sure not what they are looking to get now.

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

The video is the best part. That clown from Jorgensen is a really great
spokesperson, eh? I wonder if he ever used a clamp?